SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ritaweeda

This Looks Awfully Dire

ritaweeda
4 years ago

I'm keeping the folks in Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas in my prayers. I just heard that parts of the area already had 8 inches of rain in 3 hours and the storm hasn't even hit yet. And that's on top of the fact that the Mississippi river is at capacity already. I also heard that the levies are good only up to 20 feet flooding, which is what they are expecting with this thing.

Comments (25)

• Uptown Gal
    4 years ago

I was just watching some of that on the news. Those poor people, I don't know

how you can keep going through that mess every few years. Prayers and good thoughts are on-going for them.

• nicole___
    4 years ago

Been working.....haven't watched the news....thanks for letting me know... yikes!

• Related Discussions

dire need of ideas/yard/patio with pet rescue (pics)

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks WoodyOak! ! I thought I had a notification system on this if someone responded, sorry about the delay. We used to have the entire fenced 3 acres encompassing the back of the house, so we had no barrier and our dog could go in and out. When we got our rescue cocker she would sit and scratch at the doors and windows endlessly, so we did fence off a square area for the house, then if we wanted them out of that area completely though, we'd have to herd them from the door of the house, through the small yard, to the gate, and through it and most of the time at night they'd do their business in 'our' yard adn rush right back to the door. We put in a door to the 'office/dog room' that used to be a bed room and are trying to utilize that as their only point of entrance. We had to put up a temp fence from that door out while they relevled the ground around the house, it's hard to explain. Definately plan on using the arbor, we have two and have wisteria growing elsewhere we want to transplant onto it....although....the wisteria did a number on our old arbor even though we thought it was strong enough (is ANYTHING strong enough for old wisteria?) Anyyyyway...we did plan to fence off an area , just can't come up with a plan for the 'alley' the dogs use to go in and out into the bigger yard. Yes, we are in the country, so the barking is no problem. THey are only out during nice days and they settle down fairly quickly...it's when they can SEE us/me in the windows or moving around they go nuts. Maybe I shoudln't be so nice to them? haha Thanks for your ideas!!! (I could arrange those dogs for ya! haha)
    ...See More

Phaius 'Chariot of Dire'

Q

Comments (3)
    In full bloom now, very strong color. I have an alba almost ready to open. Nick
    ...See More

Bird's Nest Fern in dire straits!

Q

Comments (3)
    I agree, those brown lines are spores. Your problems start from the fact that this fern is an epiphyte or a lithophyte. In other words they grow on trees or on rocks. The most covering the roots usually get is from the moss growing around them. In the rainforest type of environment they naturally grow in there's usually high humidity with frequent rain and water never sits long around their roots. Hence, as Rhizo has stated, the signs of chronic over watering. You need to treat it as an epiphyte.
    ...See More

My backyard garden is in dire need of some native plants

Q

Comments (6)
    Here are some resources I found: The first sells plants native to Ontario: https://onplants.ca/ The others are resources/ listings (or contain listings) of plants native to Ontario: http://chapter.ser.org/ontario/files/2012/08/SERO-6th-Ed.-Growers-List-Only.pdf http://www.ontarioinvasiveplants.ca.php56-30.ord1-1.websitetestlink.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/GMI-Booklet_FINAL-FOR-WEB_May132016.pdf http://ontariowildflowers.com/main/alien_native.php?type=N Hope this helps!
    ...See More
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago

I am dreading it especially for my family and friends in Louisiana. But we never know where it could end up and do like Harvey did and drown us too. I have been praying it just dies out.

• kadefol
    4 years ago

Hopefully it will fizzle out and not do damage. Our area of TX needs rain, but nothing so far. Wish those of you with too much could send it to us instead.

• blfenton
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I heard about this yesterday and that New Orleans may get hit again? I hope it misses them - actually I hope it weakens and everyone stays safe.

• georgysmom2
    4 years ago

Scary.........I can still see the images of Katrina in my head. Hopefully the levees won't be breached. My son is here visiting from the Pittsburgh area and he was just showing me videos of the flooding there and they haven't had any major storms, just continual rain for days and days and days.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

I hope the storm decreases rather than increases in intensity to spare the poor people in this area. At the same time, these risk areas (and the erosion of the buffer islands and zones that used to exist at the mouth of the Mississippi, for example) are well known. I don't understand why people persist in living in regions at risk for catastrophic storm and hurricane damage. I've read there was a significant migration FROM New Orleans after Katrina and understandably so. Many who fled simply never returned and for good reason. Hopefully, the ones that stayed or came back won't have to have their earlier judgements blow back on them.

Maybe Trump will let us know on social media which Democratic politician or policy is responsible for the violent weather? Better yet, hopefully he won't have the occasion to.

• drewsmaga
    4 years ago

Elmer J Fudd: I don't understand what this means:

"Maybe Trump will let us know on social media which Democratic politician or policy is responsible for the violent weather? " It's a tropical storm. It's the Gulf. It's July. I don't understand your comment.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Sure. It was sarcasm about his lying.

He and his staff of syncophants and other fellow party members often try to spin lies into appearing to be facts. So many of his supporters among the population use no other information sources than the lies on Fox News and the ridiculous things he says, they don't know any better and he gets away with it.

There are daily examples. Today, it was about their succession of court losses concerning the illegal effort to put citizenship questions on the census - to suppress reporting by non-Caucasian residents, for voting and districting purposes. The Administration lost repeatedly. They tried to change DOJ lawyers and proceed - the judge said No, you can't do that. So they gave up, and he said "The Supreme Court ultimately affirmed our right to ask the citizenship question, and very strongly it was affirmed,” That's a direct quote from him today and it's untrue.

So, if he can take a weather tragedy in the making and try to make political hay out of it by blaming someone else, he'll try. And some number of people will believe him.

• jemdandy
    4 years ago

Forecast is hurricane with 2 feet of rain for south Louisiana. That can't be good with the Mississippi river already swollen. Add an ocean surge and its big time flood all over again.

Unfortunately, hurricanes are the norm for that coastal region. Those storms should not be a surprise. A few are much larger than average, and those 'biggies' are the bad boys.

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

I have been posting for sometime that the real danger of the seas rising was not the actual sea rise but the backing up of the rivers going into the seas. While this is caused by upstream flooding this could be a good research opportunity to evaluate what can be done in the future to lessen the impact. If the seas do rise as predicted the seas will move inland and raise the level of the rivers to match the level of the seas where they flow into them.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago

We see evidence of that happening in our beach waters. The waters in Louisiana and Galveston are not normally pretty blue water but when this happens it pushes the water up into the Mississippi River. Which prevents the muddy water from the Mississippi River to enter the Gulf. The water along the Louisiana and Texas coast will be a beautiful blue like the Florida waters during this time. It is the muddy water flowing into the Gulf that causes the beaches around there to have a browner water.

• marilyn_c
    4 years ago

It doesn't help New Orleans that it is below sea level.

• sprtphntc7a
    4 years ago

i saw a documentary years ago, narrated by Michael Douglas, that no one should live within 100 miles of the oceans because of the violent storms, changing coastline from the storms, catastrophic losses, marine life and a host of other reasons.

this was one about 20 years ago. seems very relevant today!!

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    4 years ago

According to the Utah Geological Survey and from other sources, we are actually in and ice age right now. In other words, until we turn the corner and slide back down to another ice age, we are still in the past one which peaked about 12,000 years ago. It began millions of years ago. Our planet has had at least 5 major ice ages and maybe more, since 2 billion years ago. So since we are still in an ice age I'm sure that the seas will rise even more, no doubt. What I'd like to know is, since mankind has only been around for a few hundred thousand years and the industrial age only for less than 2 hundred years, who can we possibly blame for all those previous climate changes in between???

• kadefol
    4 years ago

Ritaweeda, according to NASA:

The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is extremely likely (greater than 95 percent probability) to be the result of human activity since the mid-20thcentury and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented over decades to millennia.1

Earth-orbiting satellites and other technological advances have enabled scientists to see the big picture, collecting many different types of information about our planet and its climate on a global scale. This body of data, collected over many years, reveals the signals of a changing climate.

The heat-trapping nature of carbon dioxide and other gases was demonstrated in the mid-19th century.2 Their ability to affect the transfer of infrared energy through the atmosphere is the scientific basis of many instruments flown by NASA. There is no question that increased levels of greenhouse gases must cause the Earth to warm in response.

Ice cores drawn from Greenland, Antarctica, and tropical mountain glaciers show that the Earth’s climate responds to changes in greenhouse gas levels. Ancient evidence can also be found in tree rings, ocean sediments, coral reefs, and layers of sedimentary rocks. This ancient, or paleoclimate, evidence reveals that current warming is occurring roughly ten times faster than the average rate of ice-age-recovery warming.3

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That didn't answer my question about whose fault it is for the PREVIOUS warm-ups in climate. Still waiting. Further research states the following fact: "in the past, for example in the last interglacial period, which was
    about 125 000 years ago, the Greenland ice cap was largely melted, and
    sea levels reached as much as 4 to 6 meters above present." I don't think any of the humans that were around at that time were driving big ol' honkin' SUV's, ya know? Also scientists have not gotten core samples older than about 800,000 years, if someone can come up with scientific proof that we are in the worst warm-up of all time please let me know.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

rita, don't expect anything you read in the media or on the internet to give you a detailed education about climate cycles. Keep your efforts to be informed at a high level.

The Earth's weather is cyclical, that bit of knowledge is well accepted and documented Among the experts, there is no doubt that Earth is currently in a warming trend. There is also no doubt - repeat NO DOUBT- that the warming trend has and continues to be adversely affected by activity by humans and animals. This possibility was first postulated some time ago and experts have found and agree on conclusive evidence of many types that explain various reasons and mechanisms in support of these notions. Data measurements supporting a "warming" have been consistently increasing at rates in excess of what was expected and the experts believe they now understand why.

It's uninformed politicians and some members of the general public (who know only the biased, uninformed views they hear in the media) who think there's doubt. Among the scientific experts, there is no doubt.

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'll gladly capitulate if anyone can bring me solid research data proving that this is the worst climate change of all time. I just can't believe that people can believe that humans have caused the warming of the globe when such drastic climate changes have happened several times without mankind's input. One gigantic volcano can outdo anything man has done since day one. Back in the 70's we were warned of the dangers of the world going into darkness and I didn't believe it back then, either. I'm one of those "unwashed deplorable Walmart people" you know, so convincing me with all your educated blather won't work on me.

• kadefol
    4 years ago

Rita, as far as I can tell the point the NASA article is making is that human activity has greatly increased the speed at which global warming/climate change occurs. So we are having to deal with more serious consequences much earlier.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Rita, much of the research evidence is available and in the public domain. But so what?

If you're not trained as a climate scientist or in a related field, these reports would do you no good. You wouldn't understand nor be able to put them into context.

How does science research work? Experts work on various projects and do investigations, they write hypotheses and reports that are published in technical journals. Their fellow colleagues in these fields worldwide jump on these reports, trying to duplicate them, trying to disprove or find fault with them, arguing against them and trying to find alternative explanations. In all fields of science, this is ongoing. When the dead horses have been beaten to death, they find things to agree on, do further work and all that becomes a general view for which there is consensus. That's where the assessment of global warming is now.

I suggested you inform yourself at a high level, not in the details. The experts are experts - they know what to consider, what to ignore, they've done the heavy lifting for you. Address their conclusions, not the details neither you or me nor anyone outside of these fields knows enough to understand.

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Believe me, I'm not trying to suggest I know a damn thing in the expert analysis on climate change. But I'm also not a complete idiot. As I stated before, show me the proven scientific data. Unfortunately there are agendas all over the globe on this. Some of them are due to the unfortunate envy of those who can't stand to see the more educated and advanced countries thrive while other poor and corrupt countries don't. So they want the advanced countries to come down to their level and the best way to do it is to make them feel guilt about their wealth and knowledge and advantages and adhere to insane guidelines and restrictions. I vote for individualism, entrepreneurship, liberty and USA capitalism all the way. That's my agenda and I couldn't care less what people in those other places think of us.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

rita, you seem to have a big mountain of assumptions that I don't think are particularly valid but I won't try to unpack all your bags, but:

-Freedom, individualism, liberty, etc., are every bit as available and enjoyed by most people in other so-called developed countries as they are in the US. Mostly no difference. We're not as exceptional in these regards as the rhetoric of some politicians would lead you to think.

- Academicians in less developed countries (aside from like in Russia or China) don't do research. Whatever is produced anywhere (even here), if it doesn't measure up to peer testing, scrutiny and reviews, is ignored. Your wild scenario about widespread jealousy and phony results is fantasy, a stretch too far. When this happens, it gets discovered and outed.

- I know a lot of researchers in the US. The business (and it is a business) of running labs, getting funding, and getting results, is a full time job. Those who spend time in the public eye as spokespersons of scientific organizations have to be speaking to the scientific findings and the consensus views of members, not made up personal agendas.

As I mentioned before, there's no controversy about human influence on global warming. Believe whatever you want.

-

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

I would like to remind everyone of a couple of things. The periods of heating and glaciation were not one day it happened and the next day the period was a different type. No one can definitely state which one the world is in nor if parts of the world are in different phases.

By thermometer readings most of the earth where records have been kept are heating. If you do not believe that humans are heating this world take a look at the long term temperature readings. Then stand next to the one thing that was seldom here in the 1800's, your a/c. It generates heat. There are more people with a/c especially in the US than any time in the past. All those units generate heat.