SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cj7982

Electrical Wiring Mystery- Where to Start

4 years ago

I have been dealing with some electrical current running through metal on my back deck, window and door frames, etc. It all started a few weeks ago when I was standing on the back deck with wet shoes and I electrocuted myself touching a nail on my window frame. It was strong enough to emit a smell of burnt skin! Had a qualified electrician from a very reputable company but in a new GFI on the deck since the electrician felt there was a problem between the outdoor outlet and the line inside the house running from the bathroom. Right after the electrician left I was again shocked by 110v running through the metal window frame. I called my energy company and they found voltage running through all the nails, frames, etc and determined it was from poor siding installation (Previous owner was a notorious cheapskate who never paid for professional contractors). The power company identified a couple circuits that had been hit by nails(probably). They said I need to pull off all the nails from under the siding and put it back together!

I cannot turn my kitchen power back on until it’s fixed and I cannot find contractors who have free time to help me with this during the summer. Where do I begin? How do I remove siding and identify the broken wires? My husband and I are DIY novices so we are way out of our comfort zone.

Comments (18)