SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunup

Need help with cathedral ceiling family room lights

sunup
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

My family room is 21 x 15 feet with cathedral ceiling. Currently it has a ceiling fan with lights, two torchieres (floor lamps), and one table lamp. There are no can lights in the ceiling. I do not like torchieres. I like how they brighten up the room, but I don't like the way they illuminate the ceiling. I am redoing this room. See the pictures of the new plan. In the pictures you will see two table lamps - one on the console at the back of sectional sofa, and the other at one end of the sofa. I will need more lighting, something to replace the torchieres, and as a general light to brighten the whole room. A chandelier hanging from the ceiling will not work, because we need the fan (for air movement). The local store suggested getting electric work done to hang two chandeliers on each side of the ceiling fan (their solution to my need of keeping the fan). I kind of like this idea, but dreading the cost of this electric work. I am looking at floor lamps, but there are so many out there that it is difficult to decide. What I am looking at is a floor lamp that will brighten the room, not take too much space, and not be a prominent feature of the room. The style I would like is transitional. Please give your suggestions for lighting this room. I am open to ideas other than floor lamp. Ignore the colors/prints in the pictures. They were used as examples only. The 4th wall that you do not see in the pictures has fireplace with bookcases on both sides. Thanks.

Comments (11)