SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Superduper Garlic Shaver Gadget

plllog
4 years ago

Y'all know I love labor saving gadgets if they fit in the drawer. This one is a bit fat, but it's worth it. I can get 20 slices or more out of an average clove of garlic with just a sharp knife--if I have time to fiddle with it, which I rarely do nowadays. It's not a good prep ahead kind of thing, IMHO. I have a garlic mandoline, but it gets unhappy after the first clove and gets bent (literally), so has to be cleaned and unbent and isn't that great.

If you want paper thin garlic slices in a trice, this little oddity is perfect! I found it by accident awhile back when I was searching for something unrelated on Amazon and had to try it. I finally got around to using it the other day, and I'm impressed. People also use it for ginger, but it otherwise does just the one thing. Slice paper thin. It's really, really easy though. Just twist with the tiniest bit of pressure.

There aren't any instructions--it's obvious. Put in garlic (or ginger) and turn. The Amazon blather also suggests it for shaved parmesan, chocolate or spices, but they'd have to be about the size of a clove of garlic to fit. There's a wall inside, halfway across that holds the top on. Amazon also says it's dishwasher safe and the manufacturer's CS says it's BPA free. None of this is on the package, which is just multilingual puffery. I'm happy to have a gadget that works well, no matter the defects in the instructions. :)

Additionally, some marketeer decided to say that the flexible cap for the bottom keeps the food fresh. I think it's there to keep the blades safe. I wouldn't use it as a garlic keeper.

No, I didn't remember to take a picture of mine. If anything, the slices are thinner than shown. Amazon has a video with closeups.

Comments (7)