SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abhatia117

What color should I paint my house?

abhatia117
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We painted it the green it is now and hated it, particularly the combination with the brick and the roof. The original color when purchased was yellow (bottom photo) We are going to paint it again but want to get it right this time. My wife is against painting the brick. Please help!

Comments (68)

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

I'm excited to see it all finished. Do you have any way to add coach lights on either side of the garage?

abhatia117 thanked katinparadise
  • andd
    4 years ago

Great update. We had a very similar house in California near Monterey back in the 80's. It was that green color with the road paint yellow nextdoor and across the street. Using the grey or khaki from the brick mortar is a perfect solution. Hope it catches on.

abhatia117 thanked andd
  • abhatia117
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes i will be adding coach lights to either side of the garage. It will be the last thing I install.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

Be sure the lights aren't too small. You should make a paper template of the lights you're considering and tape them up. 12-14" long should be about right.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Kat, kudos to you for suggesting a taupe to match the mortar. The OP's color choice is so nice! :-)

abhatia117 thanked chloebud
  • housegal200
    4 years ago

Yes, please post photos when you finish painting. You received such great advice. I'm glad you didn't white wash the brick, which echoes the roof so well. Those two elements needed to be taken into consideration together.

abhatia117 thanked housegal200
  • njmomma
    4 years ago

following

abhatia117 thanked njmomma
  • abhatia117
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m doing the job myself so it will take a few weeks before I post photos. But I definitely will once it’s done!

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

Thanks chloebud. I did the same with my brick house up north. I used the taupe on the garage door, trim, soffits and fascia. Then I used a very deep blue green for the front door. It was a nice combination and it got lots of compliments.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

That sounds really nice. I'd like to use the 'mortar match' concept with our house when we finally get around to painting. Our brick has gray mortar, so I'm hoping it won't be too much of a dilemma.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

Groveraxle has shown some beautiful combinations of gray paint with brick on other threads. I just thought that in this case, with the brown toned roof, the taupe would be a better match. We shall see soon I hope!

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

Looks great so far! Love it when people show updates so quickly. Gives an almost instant gratification.

abhatia117 thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • abhatia117
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Front is done! I’ll be asking about siding color options in a week or two.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Really nice! :-)

• cat_ky
    4 years ago

It looks great.

abhatia117 thanked cat_ky
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

It looks VERY good; you must be so pleased.

• girl_wonder
    4 years ago

Good job!

abhatia117 thanked girl_wonder
  • abhatia117
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Shutters and house number will be on soon. I’ll post another update then.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

Very nice! Are you pleased with it? Where are you considering shutters? I don't see a window where they would be appropriate.

• abhatia117
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The large window on the left. I was thinking of shutters equal to 1/4 of the window width. I know typically it’s 1/2 but that window is too big and I’ve seen 1/4 window width shutters on large windows and it looks pretty good.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

abhatia, I wouldn't since the window's just too large in this case. It's also the wrong style for shutters IMO, but what's important is what looks good to you.

• abhatia117
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Is there a simple way to beef up the window trim?

• chloebud
    4 years ago

I'm not a pro but am guessing it's not a big deal. For one thing, it's done all the time.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

No shutters, please. Here is a comprehensive explanation of how to attach new window casing:

abhatia117 thanked groveraxle
  • katinparadise
    4 years ago

This is a no maintenance vinyl molding that should be very easy to miter and attach.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Royal-Mouldings-11-16-in-x-2-1-4-in-x-144-in-Vinyl-Casing-RY310-ZM144CRY/207001388

Here's a link to instructions on how to do it. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/adhere-casing-stucco-63530.html

• abhatia117
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hello again. I am now on to the siding. The existing color is a shade of brown, which I think looks pretty good, but would like to know what everyone else thinks. Excuse the messy backyard.

• tatts
    4 years ago

I'm not crazy about the brown. I looks kind of like what I call U.S. National Park Service Brown. It may not be in real life, but on my monitors...

The best part is you can plant in front to most of it and it will blend in, no matter what you do (except pink).

abhatia117 thanked tatts
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

Are you referring to the bottom portion? I thought you had brick?

• abhatia117
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes the bottom portion. The brick only went across the front of the house. any suggestions?

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

Hmmm, I’d be tempted to try to match the brick color, honestly. That way, when you look at it, there’s no delineation of red brick and brown (metal? ) back. Maybe it looks better/different in real life?

• abhatia117
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It’s wood siding.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

I agree with either matching the brick color or just painting it the same color as the upper portion. Is it on the sides of the house as well?

• chloebud
    4 years ago

I agree either would be okay. I might go with matching it to the brick.

• abhatia117
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes it is on the sides as well. Maybe I’ll just match the existing then.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Don’t match the brick...match the house...

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

I wouldn't paint it the same color as the house. boring. I like the contrast, but not that brown color. You could always do a few shades darker than your base house color. or, go with another coordinating shade. I wouldn't worry about it matching the bricks unless they butt up visually to one another. if so, just pick something that goes w/the brick too.

what about a darker gray color?

I'd also do the same color around your door trim (whatever color you pick for the siding)

abhatia117 thanked Beth H. :
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

I vote for painting the siding the same color as the stucco.

• happyleg
    4 years ago

Yep, mine is the same on both.

abhatia117 thanked happyleg
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

**yawn**

abhatia117 thanked Beth H. :
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

Get some rest, Beth. You sound tired. ;-)

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Darker for Beth:

Same for comparison:

• lindahambleton
    4 years ago

Abhatia. I vote for the same color top and bottom on the back of the house. I don’t believe you need shutters or need to “beef” up the trim. You chose a lovely paint color !!

abhatia117 thanked lindahambleton
  • btydrvn
    4 years ago

The little bit of siding looks more architectural in the same color..in a different shade it looks odd...the scale looks somehow wrong...it flattens out the height of the house....and it is not wonderful enough to draw the eye there..

abhatia117 thanked btydrvn
  • abhatia117
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all! I am going with the same color. Sounds like most are leaning towards this (as is my wife) and it will make my job much easier. Plus it will be cheaper since I already have the paint. Thank you everyone!!

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

Once you add furniture and foundation plantings, you'll hardly notice the difference. I think painting it a contrasting color will just emphasize that there's a third material on the house and look a bit disjointed. Staining your concrete pad a few shades darker than the house would look nice, especially if you add an area rug and outdoor seating.

• abhatia117
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I agree. I am building a pergola and 12 person dining table in the fall, plus adding more planter boxes this summer. I think that will balance it out.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

We have a pergola that is a more open framework...rather than using lots of wood to create shade..in the summer we put up shade cloth to keep it cool and keep leaves from dropping on the seating area....in the winter we take the sunshade off so the sun can come in....and we can still enjoy sitting outdoors on a sunny day in the winter

abhatia117 thanked btydrvn
  • abhatia117
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hello all. I am back looking for more advice and i really liked you all the first round. I am adding edging around my tree and against the house about 3 feet in front to match the step and to add bushes. My wife liked the following.

my question is, should I paint it white Or stain It a grey that is similar to my grout/house, as advised for my paint? Also, I like black wood chips, but my wife is unsure. thoughts?

• abhatia117
    Original Author
    4 years ago

To be clear this will be installed on my front yard not back yard

• groveraxle
    4 years ago