SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tpaulj

Bathroom bullnose vs outlets: AKA Tiny Bathroom's Latest Saga

4 years ago

Hello Houzzers,

My instinct told me to post ahead of starting our kids' bathroom gut. But my hope that my GC could/would handle all issues won out. After all, how complicated can a 8x5 bathroom redo be?

We are now on week 6 and every day uncovers a new issue.

Today's issue is the following: Decisions to be made regarding the backsplash.

The vanity/plywood/countertop will sit at 36" high from the floor - white paper represents the vanity which will go into the corner. This photo shows the left wall that the vanity will get pushed up against.

The old vanity sat lower with the old 4x4 tile backsplash ending well underneath the light switch and in between the switch and the outlet. The new backsplash will go against this wall and along the back of the sink. We want to use the hex mosaic tile that was used in the niche, with a schluter edge across the top.

Questions:

1. How tall to make the backsplash? There is barely 4" between the top of the counter and the bottom edge of the outlet. That will be barely 3 rows of hex. Instead, do I go one row of hex above the lightswitch - approx 8" tall?

2. How far to carry out the backsplash to the left? To the edge of the counter takes it to half of the switchplate. To the edge of the door moulding leaves 4" hanging out in space on the bottom. Or try to use the natural angle of the hex to stagger the hex from the top left corner of the outlet to the left edge of the counter. (How does the schluter work with all those angles?)

Things to know:

1. Since it's the kids' bathroom, I have to have a sidesplash to protect the wall.

2. I can't move the light switch at all due to stud placement behind the drywall.

3. The outlet was moved horizontally in order to accommodate the charging of a shaver that previously blocked the opening of the medicine cabinet. It's not a traditional placement but a solution for our family.

Thank you for helping me figure out today's challenge. I'm looking forward to a day of no decisions in the future!

Comment (1)

• PRO
    4 years ago

Hi,

you can do a 6inch backsplash that surrounds your outlet. The backsplash doesn't have to end before your outlet. You do want to protect the wall to prevent water damage. Usually before I start any project for my clients, I go through and discuss details with clients. There will be changes in any project, but as long as it's managed well and quickly, it's okay. Usually, I put major changes into a 3D drawing to help my clients visualize what the change will look like. I found that to be very helpful for my clients. See if your contractor can do that.

You can carry the tile to the left close to the door. That way, it won't look too choppy.

Hope this helps

dddd jjjj thanked Bozville Home Services