SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barplants123

Summer Fig, Apricot, Magnolia cutting propigating need bag? keep leave

Zone 7 New Jersey.

8 weeks ago I took some cuttings from a mature apricot tree, new growth about pencil thick 10" long, some had small apricots forming I picked off, I cut them below the nodes where roots can form, scraped bark off, put rooting hormone, cut most of the leaves off, and stuck about 4 cuttings in two 5-gallon pails filled with my native soil, soaked it, and put a clear plastic bag over it and tied it. When it rained, the bag would collapse but I've seen many people not put a tent frame for the bag. I checked every few days and it was always moist but I did re-water it about every 10 days. I kept them in a 1 foot space between bushes and a fence where it only got direct sun for a couple hours a day maybe.

Nothing grew/rooting so far and looks like wood is dying so I basically gave up on that. I since took the bag off. My native soil, I DO get plenty of seeds to grow just fine in it (tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, beans etc) - it's mostly somewhat loose compost on the top (small roots can push through this easily apparently but might have some clay mixed in from deeper down). Anyway I think those cuttings are dead.

The other day I bought vermiculite , perlite and peatmoss mix and trying to do this again. I cut new growth from Fig, concord grape, southern magnolia, and apricot. cut below nodes, scraped bark , hormone, put in perlite, moss, vermiculite mix 'soil', watered. No bags on top. I have them in cut cleaned gatorade, 1 litre seltzer bottles etc. I have them on a porch which gets maybe a couple hours of direct sun at the end of the day. It's not too humid on the porch from what I can tell but my question is, in summer (and not early spring when propigating dormant or semi-dormant cuttings and it's not humid out), do I even need to cut the leaves off? Most tutorials don't even say why they cut the leaves off but I think someone said it's to prevent the plant perspiring out moisture and therefore drying out, but does it even dry out in humid NJ summer without the bag? I'm keeping the 'soil' moist. by watering when feels dry. Do I even need to put a bag over them if it's humid already? Don't want mold/rot from bag. Should I give them more sun instead of keeping under a porch roof? I already did cut the leaves off though but I left a few, for example a 1 foot Fig cutting I left about 2 large leaves on it and cut them right in half to about 3inches X 2inches, and left maybe one other small uncut leaf on it.

I'm just trying to understand this whole propigating thing - seems odd to cut leaves, afraid cuts will cause disease. To me it seems you should give it plenty of sun so it gets energy to feed roots instead of depriving it of sun (but making sure it never dries out if in full sun, not overwater it in that case).

any advice greatly appreciated. thank you!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus