SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fruittreelover

3-year-old stops growing dropping leaves and figs

FruitTreeLover
10 years ago

I live in San Diego inland, planted a potted 1-year old fig tree from Home Depot more than 2 years ago and now it's the 3rd summer. I have heavy clay soil with lots of rocks (50% or even more below 2 feet). When planted, I made the mistake by following the planting instruction on the tag, just digging 2-3 inch lower than the pot (about 20 inch deep, with an diameter of 12-15 inch).

For the past two seasons, very slow growth (from 3 feet to 4 feet, but fruited both years, with 2 harvests of about a dozen figs in total last year. However, all leaves fall prematurely last summer to early fall last year. No pruning the first winter, and light pruning last December.

This Spring, after fertilizing with some steer manure, the growth was initially strong, with first 6 figs from Winter, and 22 figs popped up during Spring. However, since the raining season ended in April, the growth slowed to a halt, and it started to have yellow/brown leaves which eventually wilted and fall, from large old leaves at the bottom to now small new leaves at the top. This really resembles last summer, but this year it came much earlier. And even worse, more than half of the figs have dropped, starting from the smaller ones at the top of each branch.

San Diego this year has mild summer so far, temperature has been consistently between 55-80 degree. My fig tree is facing a canyon on the west, with strong dry wind and direct sun shine almost all day. In late Spring, I had sprinklers watering twice weekly with 2 gallons of additional water once a week. Since observed fallen leaves, and found the soil pretty dry before each manual watering, I've started to do sprinkler only once a week, but increased additional water to 3-5 gallons a week, which didn't seem to help. I will post two more close-up shots of leaves.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus