SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nidnay

It’s like a miracle...

Nidnay
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hard well water and mineral build-up is finally....GONE.....for good.

We finished up our new build about a year ago and are on several acres.....so have a well and septic (although this is our first time dealing with well water). During construction after the first few weeks of having the plumbing fixtures installed, I noticed a white scale buildup in the sinks, nasty water line in the toilets and lots of sediment coming out of faucets and toilets (our aerators were getting clogged all the time). I knew we’d have to do something or else we would forever be fighting a losing battle with limescale buildup and greatly shorten the life of all our plumbing (not to mention that it’s very unattractive to have white crusty spots all over your plumbing along with black sediment in the water.... makes everything look dirty and very unappealing). I had been using a hard water stain remover on the sinks and it worked very well, but I could never just relax and leave my sinks to dry on their own because the water always left stains and crust. And with the toilets, it was just an impossibility to keep them clean and looking good.

We had our water tested and found that it was fairly hard, but not crazily so. In any case we just recently installed a whole house filter and salt based softener with extra filtration for sediment at our irrigation outlet and another for the house water.

All I can say is WHAT A DIFFERENCE. No more lime scale on my sinks and plumbing fixtures. I usually had to dry the sinks after use if I wanted to prevent spots and crust...don’t have to do that anymore. No more sediment coming out of the faucets and into the toilets tanks. No more plugged aerators. Dishwasher cleaned dishes are so much cleaner and spot free. When I squeegee the shower glass, it feels like silk. And my hair...wow. I have coarse, dry hair, and with the hard well water, it was getting crispier and crispier.....every day was a bad hair day. But now it is SO much softer (as is my skin). So I didn’t have a hair problem and didn’t need to purchase a myriad of different hair products, what I had was a water problem. It never dawned on me that installing a system would make such a difference. I’ve had dry hair for decades and lived with city water as well but this is the first time since my teens that my hair feels normal. It’s the water!

Just wanted to share and encourage others who are on well water (and even city water) to consider a water softening and filtration system. It can make a huge difference. It took us 10 months to finally bite the bullet and put the system in, but it’s been worth EVERY penny!

One thing I have to add is that those with thin, fine, limp hair might not care for the softening effects of a softening system but from what I understand there are shampoos to counteract the softness.

And BTW...the photo is not my plumbing. Just a stock photo off the internet. But that’s where I was heading if not for the newly installed system.

Comments (29)