Music of summer: katydid's

glenda_al

They are cherping in full force. 85 at 10 pm. Love hearing them.

SaveComment23Like1
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joyfulguy

Nice music, that, Glenda.

Lightning bugs were out in force as I left the garden just before dark.

Probably in the mid to high 70s, here.

And people in a nearby community were shooting off fireworks, to celebrate Canada's 152nd birthday.

ole joyful

1 Like Save     Thanked by glenda_al
maifleur01

Not even seen one yet this year. Which is very late not for them to be appearing. I just saw my first baby grasshopper today.

1 Like Save    
Michael

Katydid chirps all night and the bluebirds take over at 5 AM. :)

Save    
lgmd_gaz

Haven't heard that sweet music here yet. Have heard tree frogs a couple times, but the 17 year locusts have drowned out everything for the last month. They are about done now. There was a lightning bug in the house last evening. DH gently took it outside.

2 Likes Save    
marilyn_c

I was shocked to see a bright pink katydid last summer. I wish I had taken a picture of it. I did look it up...it is some kind of freak of nature. Sometimes they are bright orange. This one was Pepto Bismol pink. Amy would have loved it. :)

4 Likes Save    
amylou321

I don't like those things generally. They tend to fly in my face or land on me. I like that my "stepchildren" ie the little feral cats around my office eat them by the dozens. But I most definitely would have reprieved that pink one marilyn! What a lucky little pest to be so beautiful!

2 Likes Save    
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I don't find the call of katydids particularly pleasant, more of a repetitive raspy sound. I'd never call it a chirp. Luckily, they aren't as common as the much more musical toads and frogs, and the very chirpy crickets.

My night sounds are crickets, toads, and frogs, katydids now and then, and mockingbirds in the early spring.

Katydids are so pretty that we want them to have a lovely call.....but they don't. :-( Marilyn, I remember when you posted about your pink katydid last year. Amazing.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Katydids (no apostrophe needed)? We don't have them, our area doesn't have as many bugs and creatures as much of the country does. Thankfully so, I don't care for them.

Save    
glenda_al

Misspelled chirp :o)

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

No katydids in my neck of the woods either. But I do remember them from summer visits to my inlaws in MO. I found the noise kind of irritating....it is extremely quiet at night where I live. Now and again you hear an owl or the local coyote pack yipping but that's about it. Even the tree frogs are quite at night, making most of their noise early morning or at dusk.

But I do remember with great fondness and wonder the first time I saw lightning bugs/fireflies! We don't have them here either but I was entranced to see them dancing around in the darkness. Magical!!

1 Like Save    
lindaohnowga

I don't know if it is katydids or locusts that I hear, but Glenda, I like that sound too.

Raye Smith

You'all must live in areas that have fewer Katydids. When I lived in the south they were so loud it was deafening. Can't stand those things flying out of the bushes screaming.

Where I live now has tons of tree frogs, their sound doesn't bother me.

Save     Thanked by glenda_al
kathyg_in_mi

In early spring we hear the spring peepers singing (frogs) and now I am hearing the music of the June bugs hitting the screens!

1 Like Save    
woodsy_1

Miss Glenda, you make me smile with every post you make. Wanted to thank you. I needed a good smile today.

glenda_al

Grew up going to summer camp and the summer music of the katydids brings back the wonderful memories. Thanks to those for positive comments :o)

Save    
jemdandy

The rate of katydid chirps is related to its temperature as shown below. [Formula taken from hiltonpond.org]. This an indicator only and not as accurate as an instrument, however, its a fun thing to observe. Other forms of this equation can be derived that may be more simple to apply. For instance, instead of counting chirps for a full minute, count for 15 sec and then multiply by 4 to get chirps per minute. I think this formula gives temperature in deg F. Of course, it does not work if it gets too chilly and the katydids stop chirping.

As in
crickets, calling rates among katydids varies with the temperature, so
you can always get an accurate weather report by solving the equation
T=(C+161)/3, with T being the Temperature and C the number of calls per
minute. This won't work in winter, of course, since all the stridulating
katydids will be dead, so unless you're a classroom teacher helping
students with math skills, maybe it would just be easier to buy a new
thermometer.

All photos & text © Hilton Pond Center

Save    
amylou321

Perhaps not related but I am sitting here in my quiet office and there is a #&$*-ing cricket in here that wont shut up and I CAN'T FIND IT TO GET RID OF IT! AAAGH! I swear it has been chirping since I got here.....SIX HOURS AGO!!!!

Correction: SEVEN. SEVEN HOURS AGO. WAAAAHHHHHHH!

Save    
Raye Smith

When I looked at the title of this post I thought the music of summer is The Beach Boys...

1 Like Save    
Michael

Good riddance! Thankful for katydids.

Save    
lgmd_gaz

Just in case nobody noticed, along with the musical sounds of katydids, we have been invaded by the sight of and destruction of Japanese beetles! Those &^$#&* have arrived. I hate them so much that I will squish them with my fingers if no other option is at hand!

Save    
nicole___

Do you have cicadas? cicada noise link

We had katydids. Never knew they made a sound....

Save    
katrina_ellen

So that's what's chirping there, my son in law in Birmingham said its almost deafening. I remember some kind of bug in Arkansas that was so loud around dusk that you almost felt like you were vibrating.

Save    
Raye Smith

Katrina - that's Katydids - so loud they make your ears hurt. Unfortunately I now live in an area that has the every 13 year cicadas, I don't remember if they made any noise but they ate all the fruit trees in the area. Little monsters ruined the crops for most of the farmers here.

Save    

Related Stories

Product Picks Guest Picks: Summer at the Seaside
20 Finds Call to Mind Coastal Cottages and Salty Sea Breezes
Full Story
Accessories Budget Decorator: 16 Ways to Bring Summer Into Your Kitchen
Give your kitchen an easy-breezy feel by swapping in summery colors and natural accessories, and stowing cool-weather cooking stuff
Full Story
Guesthouses Houzz Tour: A Modern Cabin With ‘Sound of Music’ Views
In this cozy Alpine guesthouse, clean lines and picture windows harmonize with traditional Austrian comforts
Full Story
My Houzz My Houzz: A Musical Couple's Home Strikes a Personal Chord
Light, glass and many musical instruments animate this 1905 bucolic Washington farmhouse
Full Story
Feel-Good Home Summer Living: How to Welcome Weekend Guests
Thoughtful touches and smart planning make summer visitors feel right at home
Full Story
Decorating Guides 8 Ways to Bring Summer Fun Indoors
Put extra space to seasonal good use with these ideas for warm weather and beyond
Full Story
Backyard Ideas Take a Summer Vacation in the Backyard
From Airstreams to tepees, backyard camping provides all the comforts of home with a touch of rustic
Full Story
Life Houzz Call: How Do You Hold On to Summer at Home?
Summer is winding down, but it’s not over yet! If you're still enjoying some lazy days, we want to see how you’re making the most of them
Full Story
Metropolitan Staging has a proven track record of staging homes that are under contract in less than two weeks... Read More