Fun things to do with the kids and grandkids this summer--got any?

Alisande

Here's a fun art project I did with my grandsons (ages 5 and 7) the other day. It was easy for me to set up, and they really liked it. They told their mother she had to try it, and I recommended it too, as it really is fun for all ages.

Start by cutting a sheet of 115-lb. card stock into eight 1 x 11" strips. Then for each face draw an oval on a blank sheet of card stock, and give it a little bit of neck. Using an X-Acto knife (away from the kids!), cut rectangles: one for each eye, and one for the mouth. Then cut vertical slits on the outside of each eye and on each side of the mouth. The slits should be longer than 1" long so the 1" wide strips will fit in them.

Draw different pairs of eyes on one strip, and different mouths on another. To make sure the eyes line up properly, you can thread the strip through the slit and under the eye rectangles, and then either mark each eye spot with a tiny dot or leave the strip in place while you draw the eyes directly on it.

For variety, you can Google cartoon eyes and cartoon mouths. I drew a bunch of these on a sheet of paper to give the boys some examples. They had fun making monster faces with . . . um . . . interesting hair. :-)

Do you have any summer activity ideas to share?

SaveComment14Like5
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

That's very cute!

Save     Thanked by Alisande
adellabedella_usa

Cute!

We're planting flowers this week in te evening after it cools off.

My kids are older. Thinking about spending the night in a haunted hotel.

Save     Thanked by Alisande
arcy_gw

Years ago my kids had a blast making stepping stones. I later put them in a path to the garden.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Alisande
Alisande

Arcy, that's beautiful!

Save    
Michael

My boys are 6 and 10 and love the outdoors. We swim, kayak, hike nature trails, overnight camping, and bike riding.

On Sunday we're going shopping for parts to make a headboard for the 6 year old. We'll be using power tools to make it along with making a French cleat for hanging it.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Alisande
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

How cute! When my girls where little, we would each draw a hat , fold the paper and go in the circle with next drawing the head, next the body and the legs as the last part. I am probably explaining this wrong, but the results when we unfolded the papers were really funny.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Alisande
DawnInCal

A teacher friend of mine taught a summer Spanish/crafts class last year and I helped out a couple of times.

We made Mexican folk art using pieces of felt. First we drew our subject; I chose to do an elephant, and using our drawings as patterns, we cut shapes out of felt.

The felt pieces were then glued onto a full size piece of felt and the finished result was framed. This is mine:

Another fun project was making Day of the Dead masks. I drew a skull template which we copied onto card stock and cut out. Each child was given a mask to decorate with markers, tissue paper flowers, glitter, sequins, feathers, pompoms, buttons and whatever other fun things we could think of. Once they were done, we cut stretchy ponytail holders in half and stapled them to each side of the mask so that they held the mask on when the kids wore them.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by Alisande
watchmelol

I try to do more outdoor activities with my grands. Granddaughter is seven and grandson is a month away from 5. They are inside too much during the school year so summer is time to play outside for us. We visit zoos, amusement parks (DGD who just turned 7 is tall for her age and fearlessly goes on the wildest rides by herself) , farms and grandpa takes them fishing.

Their parents have had them working outdoors and using tools as soon as they could hold them. Last year they even got to use a jackhammer ,with their daddy's help of course, to tear out old concrete in their yard.

I take them to swimming lessons and their other grandma takes them to gymnastics.Their mom belongs to mommy groups from the time they were born and they still get together for parties, themed events and crafting.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Alisande
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

My sprites love arts and craft projects on rainy days or when it's too hot to have much fun outside. Funny fashion shows are a thing, with a fabulous wardrobe from the thrift stores, costume places, their moms' and grandmas' closets.

We've painted adorable rocks, made sun catchers, fashioned bird feeders and baths from old dishes, and so much more. Right now, we're amassing some homemade "beads" made from magazine pages and newspaper soaked in white glue. The girls and their friends love making them! Combined with other beads they make necklaces and bracelets with very little help from me.

Right now, the girls are racing around in the backyard in a lovely shower we're having. Very little makes me happier than hearing the high pitched giggles and squeals from those little girls.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Alisande
Alisande

We live in the country, and the boys love outdoor activities too. In fact, their family recently got back from hiking/camping in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, followed by several days camping at the South Caroline seashore. At home, we have far more rainy days than we used to, and I've been revisiting activity books I used when my own kids were younger. Making Things, by Ann Wiseman, is a favorite--and the source of the above idea.

So nice to hear about your sprites, Rhizo! As always, they are so lucky to have you--and I know you feel the reverse is true as well.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Anglophilia

Go to the pool, river or beach!!! It's a great excuse to be a sun-loving sloth - you're doing this for your grandchildren!

1 Like Save    
kathyg_in_mi

Painting rocks, my grands love to paint them, then hide them at different parks, stores, etc. and they love to find them and reside them!

This is big in Michigan. There is a Facebook page, Downriverrocks that they and I belong to.

Save    
Michael

Down river. Where do you live? Down river. :)

Save    
Alisande

Kathy, I was just saying today that I need to visit a river to collect some rocks. The ones on my property aren't the best for painting.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular 21 Things Only People Living With Kids Will Understand
Strange smells, crowded beds, ruined furniture — here’s what cohabiting with little monsters really feels like
Full Story
Trending Now Bunk Beds and Built-Ins Trending in Kids’ Rooms in Summer 2018
Playful, tucked-away custom features are all the rage in the kids’ room photos Houzz users saved most in recent months
Full Story
Colorful Homes Budget Beach House: A Trailer Gets Ready for Summer Fun
Punchy prints and colors star in a creative approach to Jersey Shore living
Full Story
We specialize in house painting in Loudoun and Fairfax counties, both exterior and interior. As exceptional house... Read More
Faber Custom Builders specializes in quality custom construction with a personal level of detail and... Read More