SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

Oh geez, saw a Medium perform last night

jojoco
4 years ago

Ok, so I guess my title gives away my bias. I saw the Long Island Medium perform last night in Syracuse. I was staying with a friend who was going with some other friends and I tagged along. To each his/her own and all that, but I think it is complete bs. She mostly casts a VERY large net, ie, "Whose lost their mom/dad?" "I'm seeing a brown wallet." "You have your father's watch, right?" Based on the older demographics of the audience, these are givens. She asked about a drowning off of a boat (Hello, we're in the FingerLakes.) As she is asking these questions, audience members are desperately trying to make the connection their own. You can see the wheels turning. Because that's the whole point of the show, to console grieving people. So if she starts talking about a deceased mom, people will out hand-raise each other for her attention. Then she'll start narrowing it down, "I'm seeing a recipe card index and someone will look ashen and say "We have mom's recipes." She then will try to throw in a joke like "Your mom is telling me you can't cook like her." and the person nods in agreement and the audience roars with laughter. The audience was overwhelmingly white and very patriotic. (She began with the National Anthem and a greeting to veterans in the audience. It seemed like 99% of the audience bellowed out the anthem. Everyone was primed for an emotional evening.

Personally, I wonder what role the internet plays in all this.Yes, I'm cynical, but everyone buys tickets online, with credit cards with their names on them. I have to imagine that she could get a list of who is coming and where they will be sitting. Maybe? and then she says things like "Spirit is telling me the person is right here" (where she is standing and she won't leave until she can tease it out of someone.) She also has a huge FB fan page and I imagine that those who go to her show probably also join her FB page giving her access to all their posts.

I was waiting to be wowed. Never happened. But she did make several people feel better about their losses. So I'll give her that. I was entertained though. She is piss and vinegar and has a bit of a potty mouth.

Comments (33)