Unusual produce....
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (12)
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
Related Discussions
Your most exotic crop?
Comments (26)One person's exotic crop, is another person's....potatoes! Potatoes are my exotic crop. Hey, don't laugh! I grew up with chayote squash but unable to grow potatoes (they do not grow well in the tropics). I did not realize until recently that: -potatoes will not form tubers in the heat. -potatoes need a low pH. How low? I have seen different figures. I guess I should start a thread on common (non exotic) crops. OK, so I managed to grow enough of them for one meal. This is terrible, because they were the best potatoes I ever tasted, and now I want more. I am trying again. I got enough potatoes (little bitty ones) that I can use them as seed. I will manage to grow potatoes some day. Some say it is easy. I started chayote squash in zone 10, now I will start again in zone 9. I even have a place for them. Very easy to start, get some at grocery stores that do not treat their produce. I got mine at a Mexican food store. It started growing sprouts all by itself, sure looks like an alien type of veggie. Very interesting indeed. I like it in creole dishes, if I call it mirliton then it really sounds exotic even to me! Some more: Methi greens (just use the fenugreek seeds from Indian stores). Aloo methi, yum yum.... Gai lan. I love it but it did not do too well for me. Should I try again? Pak choi. This does great and I will continue to grow them. I would like bananas so I need to take a cutting and transplant or something. I would prefer the plantain type of bananas. Some day I will manage to grow an avocado tree and get avocados. I am growing artichokes but this is not exotic to me, maybe to you? Corn! now that is exotic, not only in Europe but also in Los Angeles. Amaranth could be considered exotic? I grew it and now I have heaps of amaranth volunteers. I wanted it to reseed, but not that much!...See MoreBest unusual or rarer dahlias for cutting.
Comments (8)Thanks everyone for your kind suggestions! I have a whole lot more to play with than I thought, I mean we've always had great luck with dahlias but I always heard they didn't like heat. Go figure! Seems like I have of contacting and research to do! And yes I do know Nick! I've gotten two of my roses from him, very nice guy, he was in town for the Maryland State Fair and actually was kind enough to drop off the roses I had ordered. Steve, I'm currently very tied up in college (I try to squeeze as much horticulture stuff like this for fun when I can) but where in Maryland are you located? If my dad and I have a free day between us we could certainly stop by. We both love orange, actually! Hope everyone's staying moderately warm with this weird weather! Max...See MoreRutledge-Wilson Farm/Park - Harvest Fest! Oct 26-27 2009
Comments (2)Oooops! Surprised no one posted on that before the date. At least the description dates were correct! Yes, the pumpkin patch and corn maze are open every weekend through October. Hours: Fridays 5-10 pm Saturdays & Sundays 12 pm -10 pm Admission to the maze is $5 for 12 years and older; $3.50 for ages 5-11; free for kids under 5. A pick-your-own pumpkin patch is available during the same times as the maze. Pumpkins 16 lbs or under are $4 each. Pumpkins over 16 pounds up to 50 lbs are $8 each....See MorePurple sweet potatoes!
Comments (32)Well, I chunked up my purple taters, peeled them, boiled them, and then I put them in the blender. I was trying to mush them enough so I could make a pie filling. However, those things kept getting thicker and thicker, and so I added some nice fat free half and half....and instead of sugar, I put in a cup of Splenda. And the color is the most gorgeous lavender. I've done no further cooking, but it takes a big spoon to dip this out of the blender container. I think about 48 ounce size too. And my parrots love it, the dogs love it, and I love it. I mean, what is not to like about this smooth concoction, which tastes and has the texture of a pudding. I did not add any vanilla, but I suppose I could have but I wanted to see the taste of the natural sweet potato. Also, I could have left out the Splenda and had a veggie smoothie. I've downloaded a book on my Kindle which is a book about making green smoothies, out of raw foods. The blessed thing about such food, so many of the green foods are "free" foods that do not count against your diet if you are diabetic. That is one reason I've begun eating more dill pickles, sauerkraut, jalapenos, mustard on any sandwich, and then the SaraLee 10 carb whole wheat sliced bread....sometimes just one slice for an open faced sandwich. But the green smoothies are espousing the raw food diet, going beyond vegan to raw, and eliminating cooked foods of any kind. You can go part way with this sort of diet, which is what I would do, but I will give it a go because by eating raw greens, I've already lost 8 pounds. Hard to take it off, but great when it happens....See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

REMODELING GUIDES10 Unusual Interior Materials for High-End, Custom Appeal
Express your personality more easily than ever with laminates, wovens and even bone all around the home
Full Story
LOFTSHouzz Tour: 12 Years of Tinkering Produce an Amazingly Artful Loft
Major DIY efforts turn 3 units in a former Portland factory into a single home brimming with personality
Full Story
VACATION HOMESHouzz Tour: Traditional Chicory Kiln Becomes a Retreat for Two
A couple converts the Philip Island, Australia, structure into a vacation home with an unusual open-plan design
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: Finding Beauty in the Everyday
From the 2-story woodstove to the fridge in the entryway, unusual takes on simple things give this Toronto home character
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: California Hilltop Home Inspires Artistry
A desk made of airplane parts, a mirror sporting fluff ... unusual touches help turn a neglected house into a creative home and studio
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGEscape the Inheritance Trap: What to Do With Sentimental Pieces
Too meaningful to toss but too hideous, precious or unusual to display? These ideas can help
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESGreat Design Plant: Aeonium
Try these highly ornamental succulents for their lush leaves, unusual range of colors and surprising soil tolerance
Full Story
GARDENING FOR BUTTERFLIESGreat Design Plant: Coyote Bush
Remarkably resilient, this coast-happy shrub attracts native wildlife — and its leaves have an unusual attribute
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES6 Unsung Bulbs for Fall Planting
Don't hang up your spade after summer — plant these unusual bulbs in fall for a spectacular spring show
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESLearn the Secret to Bigger and Better Roses
Grow beautiful roses using both ordinary and unusual soil amendments
Full Story



marilyn_c