SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

I bought it, now what do I do with it?

Jasdip
4 years ago

My basil kind of died. Very pale leaves, and brown ones. Off to the greenhouse to buy another one.

Ohhhhhh, that spearmint smells heavenly!!!!

Came home with both, now what do I do with the spearmint?

I'm wondering what flavours go with it, and I can add a leaf or two to my water kefir.

Comments (20)

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

Plant it in a large couple of gallon pot placed on concrete. It can be a very vigorous grower. I would hold off taking leaves from it until it is planted and sends out new leaves. Many growers use substances on plants to keep their growth within what the seller requests.

Hummus in some restaurants in this area use spearmint but only a tiny bit. If I had not been growing various herbs for years I would never have recognized the flavor. Often it has more of a scent than an actual flavor.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

In tea, in 7 up or sprite. In a mint julep.

https://www.elizabethrider.com/10-ways-use-fresh-mint/

• momdino
    4 years ago

Mojitoes!

• plllog
    4 years ago

For me, spearmint has that Wrigley's flavor. You can use it in anything you'd use any other kind of mint, but taste a little with what you're making before you put it in the dish. A chiffonade of mint is excellent with many Middle Eastern dishes, and I think sprearmint would go well with those flavors as well. It's good with ice cream, too. The milk flavor helps divert the sugar and spearmint from the gum ghost. :)

• joann_fl
    4 years ago

Basil is so easy to grow, buy the seeds at Dollar Tree 4 for $1.00 they will be up in no time. You can use spearmint in tea. Check google for more.

• nancyofnc
    4 years ago

I made shortbread cookies and added 1 cup of minced sweet mint. They are delicious and unexpected. I also froze some whole leaves in ice cube trays (use distilled water for clear ice) that I use in my sweet iced tea ("sweet tea" here in the South). Another idea is to mix the minced mint with lemon and olive oil, a little salt, honey if you wish to make it sweeter, and use this dressing on a fruit salad.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Spearmint is the most commonly used mint flavor for everyday usage. It goes with anything one would normally flavor with mint....beverages (perfect for mojitos or mint juleps; also lemonades and teas), adding to fruit salads, tabouli and other Mediterranean dishes, mint sugar, mint jelly or mint sauce to serve with lamb. I like adding just a bit of mint to some chocolate recipes - really good in brownies!!

• georgysmom2
    4 years ago

I put a damp towel in a zip lock bag with ice and mint. Very refreshing to cool yourself down with if working in the yard or in my case getting hot on the golf course.

• petalique
    4 years ago

Good, Jasdip. These two herbs work well together (if you like) in Thai or Vietnamese fresh summer rolls, or a cool glass (cellophane or mung bean) salad (typically glass noodles, bit of cooked shrimp or any other protein, if desired, shredded or julienned carrot, red bell pepper, cilantro (if you like), basil or Thai basil, fresh mint leaf, optional, peeled seeded cucumber.

Vinaigrette of Thai fish sauce, lime juice, bit of palm sugar or sugar, bit of tarmarind paste (optional). Add dressing just before serving. You can garnish with chopped dry roasted peanuts, bits of Thai birdeye chilies if you like (lovely fragrance, but hot — less so of you removed the pulp and seeds. You can wear gloves & remember not to rub your eyes with fingers that have been working with hot chilies). The essence of the Thai or Vietnamese vinaigrette is the combination of: salt, sweet and sour.

You can play around and add things like sliced fresh mushrooms, fresh bean sprouts, fresh julienne or shredded celery hearts and leaves. You can omit protein, or use shrimp, tofu, shredded chicken, pork or beef. You can serve the cool salad with fresh lettuce, or wrap in butter crunch or bib lettuce leaves.

Enjoy your herbs.

• party_music50
    4 years ago

I use mints for iced tea, spring rolls, taboulli, etc. and if you like creme de menthe or peppermint schnapps you need to try a homemade version -- vodka base -- it's fantastic!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago

You can freeze it in ice cubes to add to your glass of water or tea.

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

I add it to summer fruit salads that have watermelon and citrus. It pairs well.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Jasdip, this is one way to use some mint, if something like this appeals to you. These are a family favorite that I serve with tzatziki. I often just form these into patties for grilling and don't use skewers. I've also made these with all lamb...no beef.

Weber's Mount Olympus Meatball Kabobs

2 medium garlic cloves
    1 small red or yellow onion, roughly chopped (about 1 cup)
    1/4 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves
    3/4 pound ground lamb
    3/4 pound ground beef
    1 T. red wine vinegar
    1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
    1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    1 tsp. dried oregano
    1/2 tsp. paprika

In food processor (or by hand) finely chop garlic, onion and mint. Combine in large bowl with lamb, beef and remaining meatball ingredients. Blend lightly with your hands until well combined. Form into meatballs about 1 1/2 inches in diameter (you should have 20-25 meatballs). Thread long, wide skewers through meatballs, about 4 or 5 per skewer, leaving a little room between each meatball. Place kabobs on baking sheet, cover and chill for 2 hours and up to 8 hours.

Lightly brush or spray kabobs on all sides with olive oil. Grill over direct medium heat until fully cooked, 8-10 minutes, gently rotating meatballs 2 or 3 times during grilling.

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    4 years ago

You can always just enjoy it as a pretty ornamental that smells good. Put it in a nice pot close to your entrance or by a spot where you sit outside. Maybe potpourri. I don't know much about that though.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

Fresh Mint Cake with Dark Chocolate Mint Frosting

Use the first herbs of spring in this fresh mint cake with dark chocolate mint frosting for a simple and yet elegant treat.

Prep Time, 20 minutes

Cook Time, 20 minutes

Total Time, 40 minutes

Ingredients

Fresh Mint Cake

• 2 Cups Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
    • 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
    • ½ Cup Chopped Mint (1/2 ounce by weight)
    • ½ Cup Butter, softened
    • ½ Cup Sugar
    • 1 Egg
    • ½ Cup Milk

Dark Chocolate Mint Frosting

• ⅓ Cup Milk
    • ¼ Cup Chopped Mint (1/4 ounce)
    • ½ Cup Butter, softened
    • ¼ Cup Black Cocoa Powder
    • 3 Cups Powdered Sugar

Instructions

Make the Cake:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter & Flour two 8” round cake pans.
    2. Whisk together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
    3. Cream together the butter, mint, and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, and milk, mixing until incorporated.
    4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and combine thoroughly.
    5. Divide and spread the batter among the two prepared cake pans.
    6. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
    7. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on wire rack before frosting.

Make the Frosting:

1. In a small saucepan, combine the milk and mint.
    2. Bring just to a simmer (do not boil or scald). Remove from heat and cover the pan.
    3. Allow the minute to steep for 20 minutes.
    4. Strain the mint from the milk, pressing to squeeze out all the liquid. Let cool completely.
    5. Cream the butter slightly.
    6. Add
      the cocoa powder to the butter and mix well. Alternate a bit of the
      mint infused milk and powdered sugar and keep mixing until everything is
      incorporated and the frosting takes on the desired consistency.
    7. Spread on cooled cake.

Nutrition Information:

Yield: 8, Serving Size:1 Large Slice

Amount Per Serving:
    Calories: 643 Total Fat: 25g Saturated Fat: 15g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 86mg Sodium: 336mg Carbohydrates: 102g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 66g Protein: 6g

We try our best but cannot guarantee that nutrition information is 100% accurate.

© Kathie Lapcevic, https://homespunseasonalliving.com/fresh-mint-cake/

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Great ideas, everyone!! I just love the smell of it, so refreshing.

I'm drinking a basil/lime/ginger water kefir drink now with a spearmint leaf in it. I also have spearmint ice cubes in the freezer.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    4 years ago

Maifleur is right about the growing it part. I have a small patch outside my back door. It is confined by cement. It grows so thick and I love the smell of the leaves. I usually end up ripping it out (there is a hosta there too) and it will come back every year. And I have been here over 20 years!!

• Adella Bedella
    4 years ago

The only thing I have to add at this point is to add a mint leaf to the flat of your palm and slap it before you put it in your drinks. It brings out the flavor.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    4 years ago

Like above, ice cubes. Lime, ginger, mint. I can't resist the Costco bag of limes so I always have to juice them. Mint is supposedly good for seasonal allergies.

Very few savory dishes I use it in. Israeli couscous salad with cucumber etc likes a bit of mint.

Like mentioned, spring rolls. The main reason I grow it. After a few varieties I found the one my favorite Vietnamese restaurant serves. The middle of every table they place a bowl of big leaf lettuce, full sprigs of mint, Thai basil, cilantro. Just pick and use as wish. Many of the dishes are perfect for a hand roll. Or add to Pho what you like.

My Thai basil needed pinching, cilantro is about to bolt....I wrap it tight in a parchment roll and freeze for winter spring rolls. Freezes fine. I scissor off an inch or two and use right way. (gets a bit limp if left out on the counter...not as good as fresh but retains the perfect flavor combination in a roll).

The international market is 20 minutes away and I'd spend the time and 10bucks for the herbs and end up using so little. (and end up freezing it)