SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_495094778

Creating Privacy Along Alley

Aaron Pom
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello all, happy to have found this community of creative thinkers.

My challenge (one of many) lies along the eastern side of my back yard. This 150’ side is entirely alley frontage with duplexes on the other side. The rear 50’ gets great light, and the front 50’ would as well if I remove the Norway maple. The middle 50’ is occupied by bamboo which makes for nice privacy above 10’. The grade of the yard is even with the alley in the rear and gradually falls to 20” below the alley level closer to my house. The prior owner installed fencing which jogged in and out around the bamboo and floated to match the alley level. It didn’t look bad, just odd. The fencing needed to be replaced anyway so here I am searching for more appealing alternatives before I continue.

I have been looking up hedge ideas but creating a ‘unified’ look with a 50’ stretch of bamboo is not easy for this amateur. The yard is narrow, too, making it hard to want to go wide.

The last photo shows how the alley line continues towards the front yard. Another messy area between the side of the house and the neighbors shed. This is what the kitchen and dining windows look out to. Nice am sun right there. Begging for a better walkway and some pretty vegetation.

appreciate any input. This has been a headache but looks 100x better than it did when I started. Will do my best to provide more info as needed.

Comments (3)