SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_6198431

Small yard - how should I create privacy?

User
5 years ago

Before I post my sketches and overall idea for our yard I would like to get some input on how best to achieve privacy.

Our backyard is 62’ on the sides and 63’ across the back; we plan on fencing it in. There is a morning room and porch that stick off the back of the house, so that eats up some space and makes the usable yard more like 50’x63’. We are considering the addition of a patio and also have two play structures in the space. I’m not too concerned about having a large open grassy area. We back to woods and a river and my older children prefer to be exploring back there with their friends than playing sports that use open areas.

So finally on to my question... our HOA requires our fence to be a 3 rail split rail fence, they are 4’ tall. We have neighbors on both sides of us with the exact same cookie cutter sized and shaped yards. I LOVE trees and greenery. I would like to make our space more of an oasis and gain a little privacy. Do I focus on planting along the fence/property lines or do I focus on planting around the porch/deck and eventually the patio? I’m not sure we have the space to do both.

Comments (39)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm