SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kad6020

Help with creating privacy and fixing up shady side yard

Kelly
6 years ago

I’d appreciate any ideas on how to spruce up my side yard. It’s a very shady spot with two trees, and the yard is further shaded by my neighbor’s trees.

We only use this side yard to house trash cans, partly because our neighbors have four(!) dogs that bark when we enter the space. Currently, we don’t have a privacy fence along the side yard due to financial constraints (and I was concerned a fence would kill the root system of the existing trees).

I hope to accomplish the following in this space:

1) Plant some easy groundcover or put down something that would make the space look nicer without killing the existing trees. (Hostas right next to the house have thrived.)

2) Obscure the view of my neighbor’s house along their chain-link fence – using something other than a privacy fence buried in the ground.

3) Create a space for the trashcans to sit using rocks, bricks, etc.

Here are some further details about my location, etc.:

1) I live in zone 7a, and this yard faces south.

2) The yard measures approximately 20 feet by 10 feet.

3) I think the two trees in the yard are dogwoods.

4) I don’t want to rip out the older front entrance fence right now, but I’m open to painting it.

(Please excuse the tools and wood pieces and mess in the photos. The yard usually doesn’t look this terrible; we’re right in the middle of multiple projects!)

Comment (1)