Facebook Groups............

Debby

I have found that I was in way too many groups on Facebook. And they all started to get very repetitive. For example:

• Keto Groups: Is this Keto approved? (shows picture of food that is full of chemicals)
  • Crochet Groups: Can I take a crochet hook on an airplane? (asked DAILY!)
  • Colouring Groups: What is your favourite pencil brand to colour with?

A few days ago, I removed myself from over 20 groups, and now I can finally see what my friends are posting! ;) It has cut my online time down a lot. I still love Facebook, but all those overly moderated groups were getting to be too much.

How many "groups" are you in, if you have Facebook? I've cut it down to a few Calgary ones and a few Netherlands ones, and that's it.

SaveComment16Like
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanwv

I’m in a couple of acrylic painting and rock painting groups, they post a lot of stuff and it keeps me busy looking! Not much else, other than friends and family.

Save    
OklaMoni

I am in several biking groups, and gardening groups. I don't "follow" any of them. I just go and read some daily, some when I am bored and have time.

If I post on them, I get to many "likes, reactions" and comments. Facebook eats your time when you let it... but is GREAT on a rainy, cold, or very hot day. :)

Moni

3 Likes Save    
marilyn_c

One watergardening group, several horse rescue groups, a private forum type group with people I have known on line for many years, a few wildlife rehab groups, a snake identify group, an ebay seller group, and probably a lot more...like a Van Briggle pottery group, but the above are the ones I mostly follow.

Oh, yeah...a total knee replacement group, although that one I should drop out of because I had mine five years ago, and had no problems at all with it, and this is mostly people who do have problems and months out are still suffering with it. I thought it was the easiest thing ever....feel almost guilty when I do comment in that group, because my experience is so different from most of the people who post there.

1 Like Save    
cherryfizz

I joined a few groups but I have the notifications turned off so the posts don't show up on my wall. I visit their page when I need or want to. I am in a few genealogy groups, a Windsor group and a Riverside group which is a closed group. I have 2 Instant Pot groups I check out once in a while. 2 groups for the 2 games I play and 2 family groups. I just noticed there are 2 that are no longer active so I will delete those. Most of the groups except for 1 or 2 I don't really participate, I just read the posts when I am bored.

2 Likes Save    
bpath reads banned books too

Wow, I just counted and I'm in 33 groups! Mostly community groups which I appreciate: neighborhood, town, news, town sales groups, lost pets, church, school alumni. They allow me to communicate with neighbors and former classmates that I don't necessarily want to be FB friends with. Just a few are special interests. I have set quite a few of the groups to not appear in my feed; I go visit them. And I see a few that I will unjoin, mostly groups that my FB friends added me to.

I also follow several "pages", which don't suck up as much time but that are useful, like the local page for parents looking after their elderly parents. Oh, there is "For the Love of Old Houses", my new guilty pleasure. Oh, dear, I just realized there is so much more on their page than shows up in my feed. I'd better reset them so I have to go there to see the houses, otherwise I know it will start to take over my feed if I keep on "loving" the pictures!

I guess I can unsubscribe from the high school theater parents group, since my last graduated 3 years ago! It was fun for awhile, to follow their fellow thespians, but now they've all graduated too, so I don't care as much. I'm still interested in gifted education, but not vested in it these days, so I guess I can unfollow those groups. Now that DH makes dinner most days (it's his creative outlet and relaxation) I don't need the local recipe swaps.

yep, time for a little FB group housecleaning.

1 Like Save    
OutsidePlaying

I’m only in a couple. One is very active, pretty much worldwide, and I joined it purposely. It’s a great group for travel tips and traveling light. Very supportive and I enjoy the comments and participate often. Another group I joined about a year ago, but I don’t participate much any longer and just sort of peruse now and then.

Then there is a private garden group of only a few of us regional friends. We don't post often except in blooming and growing season and to share bits of personal news otherwise not on FB.

Save    
Lars

The groups I belong to on Facebook are not very active, and I generally visit FB only a couple of times a week and spend as little time there as possible. If I go there, it is usually for a specific reason - like asking someone a question whose email I do not have. Once I have their email, I usually do not go back for that reason, but one or two friends are very active on FB, and I will chat with them there briefly.

I normally use Firefox as my browser of choice, but I use Chrome with I go to FB, and that is about all I use Chrome for. I forget why I took FB off of my Firefox browser (i.e. removed all cookies and password for FB and any links to it), but it was causing something intrusive that I did not like. I can control it better in Chrome. I used Chrome instead of Firefox at work, but I never used FB at work.

The Bromeliad group on FB is very active - the Bromeliad forum here is not. There is also a local gardening group on FB that has regular plant swaps, and so if I want to go to one of their swaps, I have to keep up with them on FB. I like the people at the swaps and do like that I get to meet people in person from this group rather than just talk with them on line. I've met people on various cooking forums, including gardenweb, but the L.A. group on the cooking forum here is very different from what it used to be and not as interested in having in person meetings.

Save    
nickel_kg

Facebook has been pressing me to join groups lately ... I must not be generating enough revenue for them! No thanks, I'm in a couple social, interest, and local groups and along with a few family/friends that's plenty.

Save    
desertsteph

I'm only on a few. my old HS which I only go to when someone I know posts something. 3 for IP cooking. one I scan about every day, another one maybe once a week and the 3rd - seldom. there's a lot that is repetitive on the IP page and I just scroll on by. I do that with foods / recipes I know I'll never eat so will never make. there's a lot of those! I don't post on my FB page - it's as blank as can be and I seldom go to my sister's page, tho she will sometimes email something to me and link it.

Save    
maddielee

Hope everyone knows that you can “unfollow” your groups while remaining a member. Your groups will still be listed in your Groups menu so you can check in when you want to. You won’t receive posts on your feed.

2 Likes Save    
maifleur01

I am on 6 plant groups and 3 others but am linked/receive notifications from a couple of others. I removed myself from a couple of local ones because of the fear that they were generating. Small things like people living off one of the two main highways leading to down town asking about why there were sirens. Duh, ambulances especially use it to go to hospitals south of the river or there is a car that turned around on my street should I call the police.

However the National Weather Service sites when we have storms provide lots of laughs. How would a weather site know where your house is in order to tell you the exact time that a storm will reach your house or if you will have hail, rain/snow and the exact amount. Other most common question is will it be ok to go someplace at an exact time.

Save    
bengardening

I am on one for Bell's palsy. I don't do regular facebook though

Save    
Debby

Yes, Maddielee I know how FB works and you can unfollow not only groups, but people on your friends list you don't want to see either. ;) But to me, there's no point joining a group, or adding friends if you don't want to follow their posts. I would rather just delete, delete, delete.

Save    
sleeperblues

The one group I'm in with the most action is a band that I loved and the lead singer committed suicide last year. At first it was comforting to commiserate with like minded people, but many of them are not emotionally well and it has been draining of late. I've actually met some of them, and they are great people, but I'm basically a happy person and it's starting to wear on me. I haven't responded much, and am almost ready to remove myself.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

I'm on just a few......a cast-iron cooking group, a water kefir group and a raw food for pets group. I'm also a member of some online selling groups, but I find those a PIA. None are in my time-line or feed. They're in a sidebar under Groups and I click on them when I want to visit them. The cast iron group is by far the most active with almost 300,000 members.

Save    
pudgeder

I've been doing the same thing for the last couple of days. I can't even tell you how many I was in. I have probably left at least 15 so far.

Antiques, Vintage, Vinyl, decorating.... and many turned into "sell" groups.

I think I was in the same knee replacement group Marilyn was in. And like her, I didn't have any issues, so I removed it.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houzz Tours My Houzz: DIY Charm and Thrifty Finds in Montreal
Color, reimagined secondhand discoveries and a roll-up-your-sleeves attitude transform this family’s rented apartment
Full Story
Most Popular 5 Midcentury Design Lessons for Modern-Day Living
The era’s simple and economical materials and open, energy-smart floor plans still have relevance today. See why
Full Story
DIY Projects DIY: Fluffy White Paper Lantern
Recreate this cloud-like light fixture using a surprising secret ingredient
Full Story
Virginia Premium Renovations is a full-service general contracting company that specializes in kitchen remodels,... Read More
Premier Floors Inc. is a general contractor offering remodeling and construction services. As a top contractor,... Read More