Chickadee Nest/Wren Guard Help!

S S

I have a Black-Capped Chickadee that just laid six eggs in the nest box in my backyard. I just put up a House Wren guard (L-shaped metal taped to pieces of cardboard) to the front. There is about 2 inches of space between the hole and the cardboard.

The mother chickadee tried to get in multiple times, maybe 6 tries, and then finally got in. When she left, she again tried to enter, and it still took her 5 tries, which took about 10 minutes. Should I be worried that the mother won’t be able to enter in the future? Or should she be able to, now that’s she’s gotten in before?

I’m wondering if it’s worth it to have the wren guard or if I should remove it. What do you think?

Thanks!!

SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱

Remove it. Once chickadees occupy my nest box I've never seen wrens wanting to get in.

tj

Save    
carolinva

I agree - once the chickadee has laid eggs the wren will go away.

Save    
HU-341228992

I have had the opposite experience.Do you have a 1 1/8 hole guard on the box?Do you have wrens on your property?Skmetimes you don’t hear them they just apear.

Save    
HU-341228992

I just had wrens kill chickadees in all three of my chickadees boxes.two with wren guards On them it’s been a frustrating year with the wrens for me.And I’m an experienced box landlord.Wrens killed chickadees that where 2days from fledging in both boxes.Have You heard the wren singing On your property? its warm out now there’s a lot of bugs for them to feed with when it’s cold outside then I would say maybe take it off.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening for Birds What to Know About Birds Nesting in Your Yard
Learn how to observe, record data and help ornithologists with NestWatch’s citizen science project understand bird trends
Full Story
Gardening for Birds Backyard Birds: Marvel at Chickadees This Winter
These North American natives flock to bird feeders and entertain with their complex birdcalls
Full Story
Gardening Guides How to Bring the Joy of Bluebirds to Your Garden
Attract these beautiful songbirds with nesting habitat and food sources, including berry-producing trees and shrubs
Full Story