SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christopher_leier

Small Corridor/Galley Kitchen Design Help

Chris
4 years ago

Hey All!

Long time reader, first time poster and want to thank everyone in advance. The ideas, advice and all around info from everyone on here is nothing short of amazing.
We are in the planning phases of our kitchen remodel and have a feeling we will be in that phase for a while, as our small kitchen offers many challenges. The attached photos are of the kitchen as it stands and we have numerous ideas, but are turning to you all for input as I am not married to much and want to make this the most functional space possible, with the little space we do have. The house is a 1950 Cape Cod and we are trying to do this on a smaller budget (I know, famous last words) so this is what we are working with.

The space:

• As seen in the pictures, the space is 7'7" wide by 11'8" long as it currently stands. There is no room to increase the width as on run is an exterior wall and the other is on a stacked stairwell (up to the second floor and down to the basement).
  • The wall/doorway leading into the dining room, has room for adjustments. It is a load bearing wall with a light switch and HVAC in it, but most likely would be taken out or at the very least the doorway widened as much as the kitchen design needs. Ideally, I would take the whole wall out and get a new structural beam recessed into the ceiling (not cheap, I know) so a visible header does not have to run the span, which will open up the space and allow for a possible phase 2 upgrade of built-ins/cabinets along the dining room exterior wall as a bar space/hutch and for extra storage, but that is for another post.
  • The doorway leading to the landing for the basement stairs cannot be moved unfortunately. It doubles as the landing for the basement stairs and the rear exterior door to the deck, so without revamping the whole 1st floor, that is staying. Upsetting because the space would be that much more amazing as a true U-shaped galley, but is the cards we are dealt. With that being said, it is not a super high traffic area, so other than people accessing the deck or going downstairs, not a whole lot of foot traffic.
  • We both love to cook, so functionality and looks are equally important, but we understand with the less than ideal size (width especially), space is going to have to be sacrificed somewhere.
  • The microwave is currently on an Ikea wood cart, not actual cabinets. A minor addition that was previously just a blank wall, but was huge for adding some counter space.

The bad as it currently exists:

• The stove is a huge obstacle where it currently sits and will need to be relocated.
  • Counter space is there and gets the job done, but would like to have a bit more if possible.
  • I installed an 18" dishwasher (DW is a must), but would ideally like to upgrade to a full size, but will live if that is not possible.
  • The size. Short of relocating the entire kitchen, which in a prefect world we would do, there are no options for that to increase drastically at the current moment.

The good as it currently exists:

• I would like to keep the sink placement as is, I like having it under that window and if I can save on relocating plumbing that would be ideal, but if the design needs it, we can make it happen.
  • I like having the fridge on the dining room side, even when we are cooking if someone needs something out of there they can access it without getting in the way and we like that.
  • That's about it...

With all that being said, here are some prelim ideas we had tossed around. I know the width of it is one of our biggest restrictors, but I would like to put cabinets down each long wall (~25" each with countertops), which will leave us with about a 40" walkway in between, which I think is something I can live with, but also something we wanted to get your input on. With the wall leading to the living room either gone or at the very least opened up to the fridge, the placement of the current doorway will no longer be an issue. Putting a cooktop range and single wall oven below (I know there could be some space issues there, but prelim research says it is doable and would help with our lack of walkway issue) where the microwave is currently, is one idea. That would give us an actual triangle for working, the dishwasher and oven door would be offset enough so they don't hit if both open and with a counter depth french door fridge, that too should not interfere much. Again, we are not married to any of these ideas and although I am handy, I am by no means a designer so any and all help/criticism is welcomed.

Please come at us with any and all layout ideas, does and don't, or examples of what you think may or may not work.

Let us know what you think and thanks again!

Comments (29)

• herbflavor
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Close up window on long wall. Place cooking surface w hood or venting microwave and fridge here....possible Micrwave drawer. Back window gets enlargened if light/view are imp to you....sink and dishwasher on this wall.(7-7). Free wall space on stairwell now for shallow cabinetry : pantry or extra cab and counter....shallow cabinetry is nonetheless useful. Pay for tall narrow lieBherr fridge....sink of deep single bowl type. You want to get cooking surface away from doorway and on a wall w at least some venting capacity whether microwave or hood. Realistically: a few feet bumped out is a fair goal to get something more here....have you explored construction of that sort as part of a plan?

• Chris
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks so much for the response. My only fear with putting the sink and dishwasher on the far wall is that it will not leave enough of a walkway to the doorway opening. If I did have the cook surface on the interior wall against the stairs, I could still vent to the outside through the ceiling. Never the less, I do like the idea of some shallow pantry space and/or shallow cabinets and more counter space. Do you think the placement of a cooktop on the stairwell wall is a bad idea in general? As much as I would love to bump out, it’s not in the budget this time. Thanks!

• Related Discussions

Help pick a faucet for a small galley kitchen

Q

Comments (13)
    Thanks everyone! @sjlhockeyfan - I am stumbling with the terminology here, but basically you understood what I meant - I don't want to have to hold the button to keep the spray flow engaged. @vinudev_liny: I've never heard anything but raves about the Hansgrohe Talis. My only hesitation is that the black buttons seem really prominent, and knowing me that will be the spot I stare at every time I open the front door! But it seems like a great buy and very reliable and functional. I need to get back to a showroom and look harder at the Grohe Concetto as @homepro01 suggested as well as the Delta Trinsic and some others that don't seem too gargantuan. It's hard because the more I look at online reviews, the more confused I am - the Hansgrohe Citterio has reviews that say it doesn't lock in spray mode. I'm oddly drawn to the Kohler Purist in the beautiful, beautiful kitchen of @fouramblues (hope it's okay to repost one of her pictures from another thread here). Although there too, the online reviews are mixed. I gotta stop reading this stuff! I went in wanting to have relatively few upper cabinets, and wound up with a lot, plus there's the whole sink not centered thing, so I wonder if a shorter faucet is better. @kitchen-reno, I'm feel relieved to hear someone else is in a similar boat, and I look forward to seeing your reveal! I'm definitely overthinking all these little decisions because most of the big decisions are already made, and I'm not absolutely certain we've done the right thing (despite years of consideration.) I'm restraining myself from revisiting those decisions by focusing on all the little details, which for better or worse seem ripe for obsession.
    ...See More

Galley/Corridor Kitchens: Love or hate?

Q

Comments (11)
    I have a galley kitchen and I'm very happy with the layout. I had doorways at either end at the outset, so it was a true corridor kitchen, and the aisles were only about 37" wide. That plus a range against a wall and everything at least 25 years old and in horrendous condition meant we had to do a gut reno. But after a lot of thinking, we kept the galley. Our only other option given our very oddly configured house was to totally eliminate the dining room, but it would have entailed redoing the entire first floor and it would have left minimal convenient dining space. We live in a 1900 sqft house and 2 big kids - living space is more important to us that a gargantuan kitchen. Plus it's a high cost area so redoing the first floor was getting close to the threshold to simply tear down. Which wasn't going to happen for all kinds of reasons. I'm very happy with the outcome. We removed the wall on one (narrower) end to connect the galley to a breakfast room. And we finagled a wider aisle (about 50 inches in most spots). I don't feel claustrophobic any more! We still need to do a few finishing touches, but if you're looking for great galley kitchens, google site:ths.gardenweb.com and galley kitchen. Every time I had a choice to make I would go back and look at all the galley kitchens that had been posted here. Or search by GW user names; some of the galley reveals that I have saved in my favorites links include BrooklynGalley, MGMum, kitchen_maman, runninginplace, erhm, nycbluedevil, histokitch, smilingjudy, yesdear. I'm sure there are others, I feel like there have been several reveals posted even as we've tried to wrap up our loose ends.
    ...See More

Help with lighting a small galley kitchen

Q

Comments (2)
    Great, so I could even get one of those more golden scavo glass bowls and have enough light? Would the temperatures cancel each other out and give me something more like 2,400 or 3,000K?
    ...See More

Small kitchen - U shape or Galley? Help

Q

Comments (13)
    I have a small u-shaped kitchen. I prefer it over a galley, because I don't like the way the end wall looks in a galley and I like the proportions of a U better than the long hallway claustrophobic look of a galley. My kitchen has the window, sink and fridge on one leg of the U which is a longer run than the range wall on the opposite leg. I do all my prepping at the back of the U, which gives me lots of continuous counter space between the sink and the range. The advantage of a galley is that there are no corner cabinets to contend with, cheaper cabinet costs and likely no countertop seaming issues. I think small kitchens are cramped regardless if it is U-shaped or galley. Since I prep at the back of the kitchen, another person can utilize all the other parts of the kitchen.
    ...See More
  • cpartist
    4 years ago

herb mentioned just about what i was going to suggest. If you don't want to completely get rid of the window on the long wall, make it non-functioning. Maybe a stained glass window for example.

but I would like to put cabinets down each long wall (~25" each with countertops), which will leave us with about a 40" walkway in between, which I think is something I can live with, but also something we wanted to get your input on

Nope you don't have enough space. 40" is not wide enough especially for more than one person in the kitchen. 4' would be the minimum I'd even attempt that.

Chris thanked cpartist
  • cpartist
    4 years ago

Ok I see the problem with the entry to the stairwell and putting the cooktop there. Sigh. You have a tough nut. Can you take some photos showing the entries? Is there no way to steal some space from the dining room?

Can you draw out a plan showing how the kitchen relates to the rest of the space?

• Chris
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m not against getting rid of that window at all, was just outlining the cheapest option/idea as far as not moving plumbing, but again not married to anything. I would like to keep one window in there for some natural light, but if it has to be in a different location, I’m okay with that. I will get another drawing tomorrow with some surrounding areas in there. I very much can steal room for the dinning area as it has a good amount to potentially give, only issue, which you will see in the updated drawing is there is another window on the other side of that wall in the dining room. But again, I’m not tied to that window or it’s location either. Nothing other than bump out/other major construction of any exterior walls and the stairwell is off the table here.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Let's see if we can get you a bit more room for cabinets. Windows are not a problem because if you do drawers for lowers, you really don't need as many uppers if any.

You can put cans and stuff between the studs on the stairwell wall.

• Chris
    Original Author
    4 years ago

As far as appliance location, are you leaning more towards everything on a single wall?

• smalloldhouse_gw
    4 years ago

We had similar constraints on our galley/corridor kitchen - couldn't open it up width wise, so we opened it up length-wise. For you that would mean extending the cabinetry into the dining room. We also gained aisle space by recessing the fridge into the mechanical/laundry area behind it and shrinking the depth of the base cabinets on the fridge side so that we have a 48" aisle. Ours is truly a corridor to our main living / dining space at the back of the house, so making room for movement was key.

I don't think it added all that much cost to remove part of the load-bearing wall that separated our kitchen from what was a breakfast room. The contractors had it done in 2 days (along with moving plumbing on the slab.) The end result was life changing.

I'd suggest something similar for you: the stairway wall shouldn't be full depth cabinets. You can do what we did, reduced depth lowers with a microwave built into the uppers. Toaster, blender, fruit bowl, bread basket live there. Fwiw I played around with layouts that had a separate cooktop and oven stack, but it's tough when you don't have a lot of space and when there are windows to contend with. You're probably better off with a range, especially if you keep the appliances on the outer side of the kitchen.

• Chris
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks so much for the input, I do like that design and as long as I have enough room for a table I am fine with extending cabinets down the length into the dining room. Without the ability to gain any room like you did for the fridge, that wall against the stairs is a real burden. Is the consensus that 40” is way to small of a space to keep everything in the existing area? I know it’s on the small end, but is it doable?

• Chris
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Also, is there an option to put the sink with shallow depth cabinets (maybe 18”) on the stairwell wall. Take out the window where the sink is currently and use that space for the range? Just spit balling here

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    4 years ago

24" cabinets/counter on the exterior wall and 18" cabinets/counter on the stair wall will leave 4'-1" of space between. Leave the sink where it is and put the dishwasher to the left of the sink in the corner. Also leave the refrigerator where it is but replace with subzero or other counter depth fridge to maintain maximum clearance in front. On the stair wall, use 18" deep cabinets and counter with standard 12" wall cabinets above. In the middle of this run put a 30" range with microwave above, opposite the counter between sink and fridge. This will reduce the clearance at the range to 3'-6" or so, but nothing other than drawer cabinets will be on the exterior wall so nothing should be opening into each other. At the dining room, create a 4'-0" opening with a small wing wall at the end of each counter.

If budget permits and depending on views, I would also consider adding another window on the end wall opposite the dining room opening to visually enlarge the space and draw the eye outside.

• Chris
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks so much Rapp, this is actually what I had in mind, but was not sure it would be possible. A couple questions: 1) for the range on the stair wall, with 18” cabs will I need to get an extra shallow range or do something more custom for the range in order for that not to stick out a solid 8”? Seems like it would be a bit of an obstacle. 2) are you suggesting to enlarge the window over the current stove opposite the dining room? Thanks again

• herbflavor
    4 years ago

The better option is to bank sink ,range ,and fridge on the two outside walls forming the L. Range or whatever on stairwell wall now has left you with traffic lane exiting and entering your small space crossing over and into work triangle. This can be dangerous but less than that just a headache. Better w shallow type storage or extra type cabinetry on stair wall.

• Chris
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Do you see an option for locating a range or sink on that rear exterior wall and having enough of a walkway to the door? I think the only way to maybe do that is to have the eliminate the cabinet between the current range sink, which would also eliminate the use of the corner space. Thoughts?

• herbflavor
    4 years ago

In certain kitchens a corner sink Can be a practical REALISTIC compromise. So you can have dishwasher to left of corner sink and fridge and range on long wall. You must sort thru: 18 or 24 dishwasher /range and vent or microwave above/ cost of narrow column type fridge/ construction yes or no to cantilever or bump wall or move into dining zone or close off one window maybe enlarge the other. This appears to be a one person working kitchen but a few things you choose can create some efficiency and at least a 2nd person using the space for short intervals alongside , but not as primary cook. Small kitchens are difficult but can be made efficient and user friendly. Just can not be everything ....you have to prioritize and edit what is feasible and what you are willing to do in the bigger context :budget /long term plans etc. if you do odd /illogical things and spend greatly be careful in expecting much return at time of sale as that need can arise when life events occurr. The two main things a small kitchen will benefit most from: storage and counter. Stair wall w reduced depth cabs and counter would benefit you hugely if you can get those 2 other walls figured out w your basics. You can adjust long term to 18 in dishwasher smaller single sink and narrower fridge w good organization inside. You can cook on many basic stoves.....a built in mwave w various features can add to your cooking methods , but not critical. And a vent is perhaps essential in small or any kitchen so searching out what type of vent /budget for it , would be high on list for this plan.

• Chris
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Herb, you are right on the money with many things here. I think the biggest hurdle I need to address is the appliance layout. I understand no matter what I do this is going to be a smaller kitchen, more geared towards one cook, but having the bit of extra space with using 18" cabs on the stairwell wall will allow for a second person to be there intermittently, which I think works out fine. Although we love to cook, one person is usually leading the efforts while the other is helping. I am fine with borrowing space from the dining room area if elongating that wall run will help. I will upload an updated drawing, but on the other side of the wall that will be removed (in part or in full) there is a window. Which again, if it has to go or be moved so be it, but if it can stay less money spent. I will upload some options with all the items we have talked about thus far for further discussion. Thanks again to everyone!

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    4 years ago

To answer your questions above: 1) Buy the shallowest range you can find which meets your cooking needs. And perhaps it would be possible to nestle the range into the stud space to gain a few more inches. You would have to discuss with the building inspector to insure fire safety. This would be fussy and cost $, but you would enjoy the extra clear space forever. 2) I was thinking more of adding another window beside the existing one, preferably matching height, width and style.

• Chris
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are some additional pictures of the space. As you can see, the door to the left of the current range leads to the opposing rear door and basement steps. The wall leading into the dinning room is where some space can be gained. There is probably about a 1’6” of space from the inside edge of the current kitchen/dining room wall till you hit that window, but I would be okay with loosing that as there is a lot of natural light in the front part of the house. Let me know if this helps. Thanks! (Ignore the mess and current terrible setup, all hand me downs because I knew I was redoing it)

• Lyndee Lee
    4 years ago

My kitchen is the same length but 9'9" wide so had a few more options than you have. The original layout was just as shown in your photos. with the stove on the short wall next to the door. My space has a double window on the long wall and none on the stove wall.

My approach was to move the doorway from the corner to the center of the room and widen it. that allowed me to put the stove on the stairway wall with cabinets either side and the counter depth fridge, dw, sink and cabinets on the long wall. One idea which works quite well was taking a corner cabinet and cutting it down so it was only 12 inches deep on the short wall. This cabinet has double hinged doors so it opens to the full size opening making it easy to avoid losing things in the back corner. I also have a shallow floor to ceiling pantry cabinet on that wall.

Cabinets don't have to be full depth to be useful and neither do counters. My short section of 13 inch deep counter is perfect for the toaster. The shallow pantry makes it easy to find the contents.

As you said the house is a Cape cod, I presume your stairway goes up to a second floor as well as down to the basement. If this is one story, grab the extra space at the end of the stairwell for storage or wall oven

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Ok do me a favor and do a plan with measurements of the kitchen and attached dining room. My thinking is you wouldn't have to lose the window in the dining room, just shorten it to counter height. :)

But we need exact measurements. Graph paper and a pencil work great.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

As far as appliance location, are you leaning more towards everything on a single wall?

Sorry I missed this but the answer is yes. Except for between the studs storage something like these below:

And this one.(for some reason it wouldn't load in the post)

https://www.houzz.com/photos/100-square-foot-kitchen-remodel-craftsman-kitchen-minneapolis-phvw-vp~5402780

• Chris
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’ll get some updated plans of the whole first floor space. The entire exterior wall is open for business from the kitchen through the dining room.

• Chris
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Would a counter top range on the 18” counter stair wall be possible with a wall oven somewhere?

• smalloldhouse_gw
    4 years ago

You're not going to be able to fit any appliances or the sink on the stairway wall - you'd need full-depth and then some. (Unless you're talking a $$ built-in refrigerator, appliance handles are not perfectly flush cabinets/counters.)

Keeping all the appliances on the exterior wall and opening that up into the dining room is the best answer. Like @Lynda_Lee, we used 12" deep base cabinets on the interior side of our galley, with a microwave built-in to the upper cabinets - small appliances like the toaster on the shallow counter. Works really well (and we're a family of 4.)

• Chris
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hey all, back with some hand drawn plans (forgive them as they are not the best) of the whole area we have to work with. From our talks thus far, appliances on the stairwell wall (other than a possible built-in microwave) are out of the question, which I am okay with. Having an L-shaped layout and using the space under the back window also seems to be out as there just isn't enough room with that doorway right there and I would rather have a full wall of 18" cabs on the stairwell wall, right up to that doorway, for more storage/counters and the area in front of the back window as a walkway. Taking this all into consideration, I think I am looking at a single wall kitchen layout. I believe the wall between the dining room and kitchen, will be fully removed and the header will be recessed into the ceiling, but if you think that isn't necessary, feedback is welcome.

With all that being said, what is the best layout for this single wall kitchen? Off the cuff, I am thinking of keeping the sink where it is, moving the dishwasher to the left side, range with hood to the right and the fridge to the right of that. Both windows in the dining room are below counter level and for the one on the exterior wall parallel to the kitchen, I think that either goes away completely or is made smaller for counters underneath. I now have this vision of making that whole wall cabs, kitchen setup on the left (with some elements now into the dining space and additional storage/built-in bar area on the right. As long as we can have a table in the dining room (not an island as we want an actual table for family/friend gatherings, anything goes layout wise.

Let me know your thoughts and as always, thanks for the help!

• smalloldhouse_gw
    4 years ago

Wow, your dimensions are very similar to my house, although we have no basement and a prior owner did an addition off the back. The good news is that you can do a lot if you're prepared to utilize space from the dining room for the kitchen.

There are (at least) 3 factors you need to think through carefully. One, opening up the wall between the kitchen and dining will make your kitchen visible from the front door. Not everyone likes that; for us, it was a perfectly reasonable compromise and I don't have a single regret. Either way, you want to think about the design with that perspective in mind.

Even more important, you need to get the function right. Opening up the wall would give you 23 feet of length ... but it could mean a huge trek between the sink, range, fridge, trash if you don't plan carefully. Do you have a staircase to a second floor - does it run above your existing staircase?

Finally, your budget looms large here. Opening up the wall was less exorbitant than I initially presumed, but in a small old house there are lots of costs I didn't initially anticipate. Your windows may need to be moved/resized among other things. I joined Gardenweb thinking we could just replace our existing layout and estimated it would cost about $15k. The eventual cost (including a heavy up, opening up the wall, and moving the gas and plumbing on a slab) was at least double that, and we'll add a bit more storage and counters in an upcoming addition/remodel. For us this made sense; we're here for the long haul and we still have one of the least expensive homes in our zip code. But YMMV.

Finally, take a look at these two kitchen reveals that I remembered from wayyyy too much time on pre-Houzz Gardenweb. The first one looks larger than yours, but it's worth looking at since they did such a nice job of expanding without completely blowing out the wall separating the kitchen and dining: Cape house kitchen reno (So does this more recent one btw.)

This one has a different layout than your kitchen but it shows how you can maximize every inch of a tiny kitchen if you plan carefully: beautiful small kitchen reveal

I found this one when I was looking for the links to the others, another great example of what you can do with a very small space: tiny kitchen/dining reveal

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Today is my stepsons wedding but i’ll try and come up with something tomorrow.

• Chris
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@cpartist - Congrats to him on the marriage (and you too)!! I truly appreciate all the input you and everyone else has given me, whenever you can get around to it works for me!

@smalloldhouse_gw - You bring up a lot of great points, here are some responses. One, we are very much okay with opening up the kitchen space to the living room area and do not mind if it is visible from the front door. With that being said, functionality is extremely important to us so even though we have a larger wall space to work with, we are not willing to give up working functionality for a larger kitchen space. So keeping the actual kitchen space only as large/long as it needs to be on that wall is the plan with hopes to have the far right or the current dining room wall to be more of a bar space.

As for the stairs, yes, the stairs are stacked in the house so there is literally no space high or low that has any voids.

As for budget we would like to be around $20k all in, but realize and can make more work if need be. I realize with an older house, unforeseen costs will inevitably arise and now that we are talking about removing a structural wall, relocating windows and moving appliances, those costs add up quickly. With that being said, if anything that is existing can be worked into the design, we would love to make that happen, but the final product is obviously the main goal so if costs are incurred to make the space better for us, so be it. We are not on a slab, so hoping relocating lines will be minimally invasive, I also will be doing a good amount of the work myself, minus gas and electrical, so hoping to save some money there as well.

Thanks again, you all are amazing!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES