SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joe_williams27

Ornamental tree/shrub ideas

4 years ago

In a process of revamping landscaping on a home I purchased 2 years ago. Inherited a young prairiefire crabapple, maybe 5 years old, that was placed at the corner of the front of the house, about 12 feet out where the landscape bed does the typical wide sweep around the corner. I already know I'm not a big fan of the tree, especially at such a focal point. Flowers are great, but after that I don't care for the lanky, sprawling form....or maybe i should say "lack of any type of form"...and the small leaves, and it shows traces of scab already. So it's coming out or getting moved to the back of the property this fall. The bed is already established and having a small tree or large ornamental shrub here really balances out the landscaping. I'm looking for any ideas...other than crabapples, dogwoods, or japanese maples. It's a full sun, no wind protection site on the northwest corner. I have no desire for something that needs regular fungicide sprays to the keep the foliage looking healthy, and I rarely see dogwoods or japanese maples around here look good with no protection from sun/wind...at least until they are very well established. Zone 6, near Indianapolis. Soil tests neutral around the yard. Somewhat clayish underneath 5-6 inches of topsoil, and drainage is so so...however the existing bed is raised a few inches and I can plant a few inches above that to help with drainage. I can move out to about 15 feet from house to plant.

I'm somewhat struggling when I look through nurseries for ornamentals that aren't fussy. I already have a great eastern redbud clump in the yard, so no desire for another. I'm more interested in good clean foliage all summer/fall than I am the flower show. Down the street, someone has a smoke tree about 20' tall and wide that looks amazing. Pros/cons of that? Also considered a viburnum, but I would prefer one that grows 10-15' and keeps a somewhat nice form as a specimen. Japanese lilac crossed my mind, especially if i could find a multi stemmed one instead of a single trunk. Doesn't have to be anything exotic...just want a nice or at least interesting form, nice foliage, 15-20' range and dependable without lots of pampering other than water.

Comments (26)