SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Help thinking through roof runoff landscaping

l pinkmountain
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

There are some parameters for my problem;

1. I've inherited my parents house and the landscaping and home exterior need a lot of upgrading and redoing. We're trying to tackle it ourselves as much as we can, hubs is a carpenter and I am a horticulturalist.

2. We don't have the time or money to hire someone for a big redo. We're not sure how long we will be staying so we like to chunk up big projects into smaller ones that can stand alone but also tie in with long term possibilities.

3. The problem is the west side of the house. It's very shady due to having a large red oak tree there and also our neighbors house and they have a large maple tree. Both our house and the neighbors' house are very close to the lot line. Our yard slopes into theirs. Neighbors are young couple with two little kids, do almost no yardwork and we have a GREAT relationship. They are not fussy about the state of their outdoor spaces.

4. We have a roof runoff problem which we are attempting to solve. The gutters weren't even draining properly, water was pouring down the side of the house. On the front side hubs installed a rainbarrel and a kind of french drain to absorb some of the runoff but it's still more than the current landscape is really designed to take. On the other end is the biggest problem which I will show photos of.

To take this photo I was standing under the oak tree on the side of the house. Two things for sure: the junipers are going, they can't grow well in shade anyway, should never have been planted, and the Bradford pear is going and will need to be stump ground too. You can see the downspout to the right of the pear.

Tentatively, after the pear is gone, we are thinking to re-route the downsput to the back of the house and install a rain garden. The issue is it might interfere with the other oak tree's roots. You can see its trunk in the background. The backyard is wild, so I'm almost thinking not dig a bowl for the rain garden, just plant some wet feet plants there and let the water/mud run where it may. Not sure though.

The last problem, is there is such a short space between our two houses, and our runoff if causing their fence to rot. I really would like to minimize that. I'm thinking we might go in with them on replacing some fencing with plastic lumber, on the bottom at the very least.

I have a bunch of pea gravelish stuff mixed with dirt that I am slowly removing from another area, and I'm wondering about dumping it in that space between our house and the neighbors fence. Nothing grows there due to wet and shade, but when the tree is gone, I might be able to get some wild blackberries or raspberries to grow, or maybe some other shade bush like clethra or spicebush. I'm wondering if I will regret putting the gravel/dirt mix there. It is in a horrid rock mulched bed under a tree in another part of the yard that I am slowly trying to reclaim from the layers of rock and dirt. The big rocks are gone, but the bottom layers are little glacial stones mixed in with a LOT of dirt.

What are your thoughts on the best way to handle this runoff?

P.S. We could run a french drain all along the fence out to the river in back, but I think that would be a discharge permit thing and probably a no go but I don't know for sure. It already ends up in the river eventually . . . That area we are restoring to a riparian buffer.

Comments (8)