SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dabjg

Shaw Floor - how do we fix this ?

dabjg
4 years ago

We had Shaw floors installed - floating floors not glued.

We had some issues with contractors front the start of install. First - we were told they would be installed last and he insisted they were being installed and would be covered and would be fine - needed to keep moving with project. I know better - now.
So - he had floors installed even though he knew there was a problem with our back door ( water leaking in ) and that needed to be fixed . He said it would get done - not too worry - it was all going to be done right. Guys fixed door in a hurry so Floor could be installed. Floors installed ( other issues occurred Which are in another post) and finally covered. Well we noticed a little later water was sleeping in through back door- pulled paper up and our floors had popped up . Water had gotten to boards and destroyed several boards. They removed damaged boards and reinstalled. Fast forward several months later - now we have a board popping up. It was the last board that was placed when they replaced floors by back door.

When we pulled us rest of paper off the floors much later - We also noticed a lot of splintering and other issues. Inspector was sent out and determined splinters due to poor installation but easy fix ( which will require maintenance in future from us but easy ). There were 3 boards that should not have been used and inspector said they need to be replaced - she didn’t know who responsibility would fall on but said they should have been set aside since we had other Boards that could have been used

So - contractor sends someone out to fix floor board that is popped up, the one with huge splinter and the small splinters.

The installer tells me he would not recommend removing boards bc we may have same issue with floor boards popping up. He said he would use adhesive on one popping up and would try to fill in other boards .

He said we still may have a chance the board by back door will pop up again.

I am so angry. We paid a lot of money for our floors and now Bc of contractors mistake - we have to live with a board that may keep popping up ! This of course would not have happened if he would have waited to install floors once back door was properly installed.

Now for the board with huge splinter - inspector recommended replacing bc it’s near a wall and said it would be dangerous if it were not fixed .
Installed states he would try to fill it in and we should just leave it as well bc again - removing Boards then replacing them could just make it worse ( floor boards popping up ).

I don’t know what I should accept? Even though we paid this contractor to properly do the work - bc he didn’t now we have to live with a board popping up ? Or is it possible to fix it and not have that happen?

We have already paid him in full - not like we can withhold money.

And yes this is not a great contractor- he tells us this and that is fix but he obviously doesn’t know what is he real solution . And he does not communicate well with his subs. I can’t do anything about that anymore.

Would it be best to hire an actual floor installer to repair the mistakes he made ? The person he sent it to repair our floor is not the same sub he originally had install the floor - I don’t that guys works with him anymore.
I will add pictures .

Here is one board - it was a mistake by Shaw - but being told we had enough Boards so installer should not have used it . I don’t know if you can tell but it’s missing the actual Hickory floor. A huge piece is missing and whatever is underneath is actually what is stained
Where my finger is pointing is where veneer or top layer is missing ? Is it ok to leave it? It under a table.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm