SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nuhouse10

Wall color for kitchen/den - Urbane Bronze Cabinets

nuhouse10
4 years ago

We have an old farmhouse that, when we purchased it, had many bright colored walls. Bright yellows, pinks, blues, greens. Think circus colors. While we are not looking for the "modern farmhouse" look with lots of white and grays, we do want it a bit more neutral.

Attached is our recently painted kitchen and and backroom. We want the same color on the walls in both rooms (or very similar) for consistency but also struggle with lighting issues. Any suggestions?

Current wall color: Ancient Ivory - we picked it after much deliberation but after 6 months, I still don't love it. It in certain areas, at specific times of day, it looks nice but that's less than 20% of the time. The rest of the time we feel it it ended up with too much of a greenish tinge and the cabinets look like they are floating in space. We are looking for a more saturated/darker color that will give us a warm, cozy feel and tie the cabinets to the walls. Off whites seem to be too light and gray, tans are too "blah" and grays are too shadowy (esp in the backroom).

The western facing back room throws gray around like crazy - everything we have tried on the walls seems pretty dark.

Cabinet color: Urbane Bronze, SW.

The issue is the floors have a lot of yellowy-brown. WE like the wood floor but aren't able to rip up the kitchen floor just yet. So, we need something to go with that too...

So far we have tried SW Creamy (too pale), BM Ancient Ivory (current color but too light), SW Shoji White (too gray, light - walls looked dirty),

I just did a sample of: BM Color Stories full spectrum color: Hidden Cove. Looked pretty in the store but I think it might have too much pink.

It was recommended we try: BM Skipping Stone. I like the color and I will get a sample but I tried a cheap (Home Depot color match) sample of it in the back room a few months ago and it seemed kind of "blah". I was hoping for a bit more warmth.

Pics are of when we painted a few months ago. Stove hood is now stainless steel. 1st pic taken at night - others during the day. We like the wall color more at night.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

Comments (13)