SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eastcoastgalny

pre-finished vs. un-finished Engineered wood 2nd Floor w Radiant heat

Sara H
4 years ago

Please help! I need to choose wood flooring for my second floor (radiant heat) new construction. Originally, I wanted to install tile in the bedrooms so that I wouldn't have to deal with unsightly scratches that come over time, because I will never want to deal with sanding and restaining while living in the house. But I understand that tile is hard on the feet and it doesn't offer the warmth that wood flooring does. I checked out some pre-finished engineered floors and fell in love with the wire brushed/hand-scraped look. The finish looks very durable and the scratches that will inevitably happen will not show up as much on those. My contractor is VERY STRONGLY advising against prefinished floors. He said eventhough they will be installed last, there will still be lots of traffic in the house after install. I suggested covering the floors with boards and paper, but he said he is most concerned when the doors and molding/trim is installed they will need to cut back some of the protective covering and that's when the floors may get damaged. I really prefer the look, textured feel and durability of the pre-finished floors. Also, I prefer not to have the sanding and the smell of the stain in my house since we are very sensitive to dust and varnish fumes etc. Also it will be hard to achieve the cerused look of the prefinished floors. Any suggestions on how I can use the prefinished floors with minimal chance of damage during the end stages of construction? Thanks in advance!

Comments (18)