SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pacohimbo

Steam Shower strong silicone smell a month after install

pacohimbo
4 years ago

I had a steam shower built as part of a new construction with frameless glass installed with silicone (I do not know the brand but know it was 100% silicone) on two sides (1 side is the door) and 1x1 porcelain tiles on the other 2 walls, floor and sloped ceiling. the trim around all of the fixtures in the steam shower were sealed with silicone (Loctite 160809 Clear 595 Silicone sealant - this is what the Thermasol technical support person I spoke with recommended). It had ample time to cure (shower was not used for 2 weeks after silicone was applied). Over one month later, the shower still smells of silicone. I leave the door wide open to the steam shower and can smell it upon entering the bathroom. I ran the steam shower a few times hoping this would help but the odor is still strong (i'm sensitive to chemical smells but others notice it too). Any advice on how to speed up the process on getting it to a low or no odor? It doesn't seem safe to steam inside the steam shower when it has that silicone smell. any advice would be appreciated! thank you!

Comments (4)