SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbolger1223

Our den needs some help! Layout and decor and artwork

jbolger1223
4 years ago

Below are pictures of our den/living room. I would love some help or advice or anything you want to give. This is the room we are in the most in our house - my husband, my dog and I. It's where we watch tv and eat dinner and just hang out. Any and all advice would be appreciated! The room is an awkward shape ( I will include a picture of how original owners had the room set up in the comments.

Things we are having issues with or questions on:

* I feel like we could use some more seating, but wouldn't know where to put it. Move the bookshelf and put a chair there?

* Frames were bought in December and have sat empty since - were looking at trying to find some pictures with blues, oranges, burgundies, or grays to try tie in more blue since all we have is the rug right now. Not sure the more abstract stuff really works with everything we have going on -- Should we go a gallery wall that comes out from the back corner of the couch onto those two walls and scrap the big frames?

* Should we paint the fireplace mantle black? I am working on painting the trim and doors and windows Sherwin Williams Pure White since we painted walls Oyster White and now the molding looks too yellow

* Under the windows we have a cheap IKEA table to house all our electronics. Have thought about trying to build out a little window bench with hidden storage for those things, as well as a little extra sitting space

* Left door goes opens to hallway to front of house/upstairs; Middle opening is into the kitchen; Right doorway opens onto second story deck (looking right into trees so feels like a tree house)

I would love any advice or input you have on this room! It feels off to us, but it's hard to pinpoint what we need to change or add. Don't have a very large budget to work off of, but willing to save up for pieces that are needed.

Comments (2)