SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wvuphan

Plant Disease Help (Beans and Tomatoes)

wvuphan
4 years ago

Good Evening,

I've run into a pretty significant problem it seems. I've tried to diagnose it myself and unfortunately, I think I've arrived at the culprit. However, I figured I'd reach out to you all for confirmation and additional insight. I respect your opinions so much and it seems this will have a pretty drastic impact on my garden.

I would really appreciate it if you could check out the attached photos and let me know what you think. Does this look like Mosaic Virus to you?

This first started with my bean plants. Growth became stunted and they virtually stopped growing up my trellis for 2 weeks. No signs of the Mosaic yellowing pattern anywhere, however, the leaves became blistered and mottled. New leaves were narrow and twisted. However, some plants began to flower and produce beans that looked normal, but like I said, were no longer climbing up the trellis. I made the decision to pull all the bean plants for fear this would spread to my other plants. Just figured I would start more beans and have plenty of time to get some harvested before the end of the season. I cut the vines and pulled the roots up as much as possible. Wiped down/disinfected my trellis netting with a soap/water/bleach mixture and started more bean seeds from a different batch of seeds (just in case the previous seeds contained the virus).

Thought I was good to go to resume a fruitful season. However, now it seems this has somehow spread to many of my tomato plants in another raised bed. I don't know if I didn't clean my shears properly/enough and transferred when pruning or if I somehow spread the virus via my hands. We had an extremely hot and dry week and a half here in southeast VA, followed by an extremely wet week with constant rain. I was hoping maybe this had something to do with the plant's reaction to the weather, but everything I've read online leads me to believe its mosaic virus. I also spray with a mixture of organic neem, peppermint, marigold oils, and organic soap mixed with water as a pest deterrent every 7-10 days. Not only am I worried that I'll need to pull all my tomato plants, but I'm worried this could linger in my garden and make it unusable in the future, as I've read not to replant in an area the virus has affected. Unfortunately, these two beds are almost all of my gardening space I have available.

Please let me know what you think/suggest? Does this look like mosaic virus to you?

Please let me know if you need any additional info. I'm happy to post more pictures if needed

-WVUPHAN

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions