Jigsaw puzzle sorting trays

socks

When you work a puzzle, what do you use to contain the sorted out pieces? Sorting trays available on Amazon--all kinds--but I wonder if they are worth the investment. I'm using a lightweight plastic tray, a cardboard gift box and aluminum cake pans.

SaveComment16Like
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

The cake pans (or big cookie sheets?) are perfect. I use the puzzle box bottom and a sheet of paper, but I have a nice size table. I wouldn't buy anything.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by socks
foggyj2

I concur on the baking sheets. Easy to move when needed too.

Save    
jkayd_il5

Paper plates

Save    
lgmd_gaz

I use the lid of a shoe box for all the pieces that aren't edge pieces. The edges go in a 7 x 7 sorting tray, all pieces turned right side up as I separate the edges out. I like the sorting trays, but only use one or occasionally 2 at a time for all sized puzzles. They are cheap, nest together when not in use. My daughter and I split a pack of 6 between us.

Save     Thanked by socks
yeonassky

For the 2000 piece puzzle I have this time I'm using a long skinny rectangle cardboard box and a long skinny wire rack shelf with a flat piece of cardboard on it. As well I'm using some trays and containers. I'm enjoying the this de stressor very much.

PS I probably don't sort as much as I should. Good thing I enjoy the hunt.

1 Like Save     Thanked by socks
socks

Those sorting boxes aren't very big, so not as many pieces are viewable at once as in a larger tray or whatever. The sorting boxes could be helpful, though, and maybe they are a good gift to a jigsaw puzzler.

Yeonassky--with a 2000 piece puzzle you would need a lot of sorting space! Are you the one who works without looking at the picture????

Fun--those mats look very handy. I'd only have room for one. Yellow color is helpful.

lgmd--shoebox lid....brilliant. The sides aren't too high to shade the pieces near the edge. I do find with the cake pans and box lid that the sides are a little high.

jkay-- paper plates another good idea, maybe the firm white ones (not slippery, not print).

foggy--baking sheets would be good as well because of the low sides.

sushi--cake pans, yes, are good. I found a pie pan today which might work too.

Thanks everyone, Happy puzzling. I splurged and bought a $20 puzzle today, but I'm looking forward to working it and it will take me a while.

1 Like Save    
Fun2BHere

Happy puzzling!!!

Save    
yeonassky

I have a table set up in my open concept living dining room behind the sofa. Most of the time my box of puzzles that are upright so that I can see each piece is on the back of the sofa. :-). We don't use the living room much at all.

I do look at the picture but I don't always remember or understand what I am looking at in terms of colours I'm much better at connecting the puzzle pieces themselves for colour.

Happy puzzling to everyone as well!

Save    
Raye Smith

I do them on a 4x8' sheet of plywood on a table in the office in my house. Maybe one day I'll built a custom puzzle/game table.

Save    
lgmd_gaz

This is my puzzle 'station'. My glide rocker with my feet up I can rock while puzzling. The styrofoam board will accomodate a 24 x 18 puzzle comfortably. Larger puzzles go on a 48" round table in the same room, but my sitting duration at the table is limited to less than an hour at a time. On the board here is a 1000 piecer, and it is really difficult.

1 Like Save     Thanked by socks
socks

Lgmd, Like me, you don’t have a lot of space for the sorting boxes. I like seeing where you do your puzzles. Looks like you have a good light. That’s so important.

Save    
Jasdip

1,000 pieces are my preference. We bought a folding table a few years ago, and when not in use it stores behind the loveseat.

I should bring it out and do a puzzle again, trying to keep Roxie off of it is a feat in itself, never mind the actual puzzle!

Someone on Freecycle is giving away a 2,000 pce. I should ask for it :-)

As far as sorting I just keep all of the pieces on the table, I don't sort; except when turning them over, then I separate all the edge pieces and start there.

socks

Another question....after finishing a puzzle, how long do you leave it assembled? I usually leave it only a day or so as I’m a little tired of it.

Save    
Jasdip

I left it up long enough for hubby to admire it (and me for my patience) I find jigsaws very relaxing. It would come down that day, or for sure the next day. Either the table put away or another one brought out to start.

nycefarm

I use a cardboard "case" box. We have a tradition of never placing the last piece! Only stays out a day or so.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides Solve Your Design Puzzle With a Touch of Playfulness
If whimsy is the missing piece in your home, consider one of these puzzle-inspired designs
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: Versatile White Serveware
20 platters, bowls and trays that work with any decor and every occasion
Full Story
Vintage Style 1970s Style Finds Groove Today
The bright colors and unmistakable patterns of the '70s are swinging back into homes, but with modern flair for today's interior designs
Full Story