SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robert_fischer

Help Planting a Tree Screen in Zone 6a (Ohio)

Robert Fischer
4 years ago

Hey All,

My wife and I are currently having a house built near Columbus Ohio (zone 6a), and hope to be moved in by Labor Day. We would like to do some fall planting, and are in the process of planning some trees for privacy.

Goal: To create a very dense and attractive screen from our busy road as quickly as possible. Would like the area to be so dense you can't see or walk through it to the road.

Space to work with: About 72 ft by 45 ft. Area is currently dirt and grass, is fairly flat (slight slope away from the road) and well drained. On the north side is the neighbor's driveway, and the south side is my driveway. The east side is my front yard and house (located about 40 ft away) and the west side is the road.

Plan:

Middle - Fast growing, shade tolerant trees such as hybrid willow, poplar, and thuja green giant. As the trees grow, we will stop mowing this area and let it grow wild.

Near the outside - Fast growing, sun loving trees such as the Norway Spruce and White Pine.

Perimeter - Slow growing trees such as Colorado Blue Spruce, Black Hills Spruce, and Canadian Hemlock. We will also plant some ground cover and shrubs around the edge to fill in the gaps.

My thought process is that having the fast growing, weaker trees in the middle will achieve the screen from the road quickly, then surrounding it with more attractive, slow growth trees will ensure the screen will remain in place if years down the road the hybrid plants die off or get blown over.

Below is my crude attempt at illustrating my tree plan. Right now, I have the trees 10 ft apart in offset rows that are 5 ft apart. I will also attach a photo of the house from near the road -- the front yard is larger than it looks in the photo, but it will give you a sense of what we are working with.

What do you all think about my plan? Should I move some trees around/use different species? Should they be planted closer or farther apart? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (10)