SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uscroy

Whirlpool service sucks and here's a story why

uscpsycho
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I want to share my experience and frustration with Whirlpool service just as a heads up/warning to anyone researching appliances.

Less than two weeks ago I had the latest, top-of-the-line Whirlpool washer & dryer (WFW9620H & WGD9620H) installed. Right out of the box there is a sheet identifying a bug in the system telling you not to use a certain feature or the washer won't work. Strike 1

So it's clear Whirlpool is very slow to fix things. Then within minutes of installation I notice other problems. So I call and the support guy on the phone says "These are new so I don't know much about them." This is maddening after spending so much money. Train your people! Strike 2

I explain the issues so the guy creates two trouble tickets and tells me that if nobody calls me in a week *A WEEK!!!!* that I should call to "remind" them. I shouldn't have to wait a week for a response. Miele & Sub-Zero resolve issues in one day, if they can't solve it over the phone they schedule service call. Strike 3

I wait a week and nobody calls. Strike 4

So I call and I'm told I identified some problems which they weren't aware of and they have a "fix" but there is no ETA. Strike 5

I don't know how it's possible they don't know this problem exists because they involve setting the time which is one of the first things you do during set up. Does Whirlpool do any testing at all? Am I really the first person to report these bugs or do they just not track bugs? Strike 6

Given the fact there is no fix for the problems the washer originally shipped with I'm not expecting a fast resolution to these newly identified problems with the washer and dryer. Strike 7

Moral of the story - Buy Whirlpool appliances at your own risk. For me, never again.

The only reason I haven't returned them is because the store I bought them from has indefinitely extended the return window. As long as these problems remain unfixed, they will let me return the w&d for refund or exchange.

I have another story of massive frustration with Thermador. I'll post that later. The first appliances I had installed in my new house were Miele and Sub-Zero and I think I got spoiled. Their service is insanely good. I'm not sure I expected the same from Whirlpool (didn't expect it to be this bad either) but I did from Thermador.

Comment