SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chabbaa

DIY Retaining Wall Help

chabbaa
4 years ago

Hi
We have a sloped garden and after much discussion have decided to drop the back (to create another level), instead of trying to fill it in 1) because of the cost, 2) because we have no side entrance and everything would need to be bought through the house and 3) because the retaining wall would need to be above 1m to build up.
Building down, surrounding all four edges with a small retaining wall (approx 0.5-0.75m high), and levelling out the ground/equally distributing the ground feels doable as a DIY.
Having looked into it, I feel confident building the wall using railway sleepers, laid horizontal and stacked on their narrow side with posts in concrete to support behind. However, we managed to locally source 19 breeze blocks (excess from a locals building project), but I am not sure how I feel about being capable of laying the concrete footing, stacking the bricks and mortar.
However, I am not sure what is the more cost effective option - some kind of breeze/concrete blocks or reclaimed railway sleepers.
As pretty much all of the wall will be buried beneath the soil, or covered by storage (as this is what the lower level will be used for) aesthetic is not a driving factor. However, ease (for a DIYer) and cost are.
The back and front walls would measure approx 4.5*0.5m
While the side walls would measure 3.6*0.5
Any advice/guidance greatly appreciated.
Pics attached to show where the lowered level will be.
Thanks
Chabs

Comments (4)

Sponsored