SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsay_ke

What to do about evergreen shrub root rot?

Lindsay K
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I can include pics tomorrow, but basically I have 3 mature Manhattan spreading euonymus shrubs that are dying back limb by limb. The shrubs are 8-10 feet tall and wide, and growing as a wild hedge. The leaves wilt, and then turn brown and die. I’ll see a new limb grow, which I hope will be healthy...but the leaves will wilt and die a few weeks later. I know euonymus are vulnerable to scale, but I see nothing indicating that on the branches or leaves. 80% of the Bush looks perfectly normal, but these random shoots that are dying off. It seems like every week or so a new branch will die, and one of the shrubs has lost about 2 feet of height.

My neighbor (we share these shrubs as they‘re on the property line) severely over-pruned the hedge, and about 6 months later this die-back started. His kids were getting toys and balls lost inside the shrubs, so he went in and basically gutted the poor bush to dig all his kid‘s toys out of it...and made them a tunnel so they could play inside the bushes. I almost had a heart attack, because this was a large healthy hedge and provides privacy between our yards. Anyways, it hasn’t looked the same since. I can only assume the bad pruning job left it vulnerable to disease. Or maybe it would’ve happened anyways!

Should I go ahead and remove the shrubs, or just trim them back as they die? Is it possible that they’ll persevere and come back from this? The main reason for my concern, is that I have a mature sycamore tree growing right next to them and I really don’t want it to get sick too. The tree shades the west side of my house, and is 60/70 feet tall, so the health of it is far more important than the shrubs. The trunk of the tree is only about 10 feet from the shrubs, and some of the tree branches hang over the shrubs. The shrubs have become understory bushes over the years, but still get a ton of west sun (I’m in Texas, so west sun is serious), so I usually worry more about heat than cold. We’ve had a LOT of rain and cloudiness recently though, and many of my plants are struggling from it...so that’s more an issue now than sun.

Comments (12)