SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_959471055

Sheet Vinyl over Sheet vinyl - When to install a new subfloor?

cjzimmer
4 years ago

So I've got sheet vinyl in my kitchen and dining room area (approximately 250 square feet). We are planning on replacing it with more sheet vinyl (I prefer this type of flooring even though many don't) We've found 2 different colors we like from Armstrong but each is only available from one vendor in our area. Since we couldn't decide which one we prefered, we had each of them bid out the job. One is planning on installing a new subfloor and then the new sheet vinyl. The other is planning on using embosser over our existing floor and then installing on that.

How does one decide which is the better option? What criteria should I be considering?

Right now the bids are only about $200 difference but both are a bit out of our range as this point. If I could get the one bidding with the subfloor to just lay over the existing, I think we could swing this project right now but I don't want to omit the new subfloor if that is really important to make a good long lasting floor. But I'm not sure why one thinks it's necessary and one doesn't.

Any words of advice or questions I should be asking to educate myself to make a good decision?

Comments (9)