SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_955880221

Our Cat’s Misdiagnosis

Michele
4 years ago

Had a touch of insomnia this morning and in browsing around I found this thread.
In case this can help someone else I’m posting our story. I’ll try and make a long story short.
Back in September we noticed Sunshine had a sore front paw. The vet we brought her to diagnosed it as Plasma Cell Pododermatitis. (Pillow Paw). We had to keep bringing her back to check her and change bandage. It was horrifying to see her suffer, and each time I would pray it would show improvement. It just kept getting worse! He recommended a dermatologist and bringing her each day to change bandage! We couldn’t get an appointment for months and every animal emergency hospital told me quite frankly that I would still need to make a dermatology appointment as they aren’t on staff in emergency settings.
We had to do something else. We searched around and found a vet who’s profile said dermatology was a special area of interest. Thank God!
He immediately recognized it as Eosinophilic Granuloma. (Common misnomer is “rodent mouth”. Used to be believed caused by catching mice.)
He treated her. New meds etc.
She started showing improvement immediately. He even showed how to change bandage so we could do it ourselves.
This condition evidently is not common on the paw.
In addition he asked if we were interested in applying a honey wrap to help heal her paw. My husband’s cousin is a beekeeper in the mountains so we have really wonderful raw honey we used.
We also changed her diet and gave her probiotics for a while.
I have to think it was just inexperience perhaps. But if you have a cat not responding to the pillow paw treatment, have the vet consider eosinophilia granuloma.
She is 100% better. Running around like her crazy self again!

Comments (6)