SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smalloldhouse_gw

Critique my proposed reno/addition

smalloldhouse_gw
4 years ago

We're adding on a master suite above an existing addition off our small, old Cape style house. It will involve ripping the roof off so we're doing some reconfiguring of the first floor as well. The priority of course is the addition, along with renovating the 2 existing bathrooms. But we want to get the most out of our first floor since we have no basement. Family of 4, close-in suburb of a big $$ east coast city. Here's the before and proposed after from our amazing architect. She's fantastic but since this is way outside my expertise & my husband is not the type to sweat the details, I'd love any/all feedback from all you folks who know more than I do.

The upstairs addition design seems perfect. It's the 1st floor that is tricky. I'm a little uncertain about all the built-ins in the dining side of the living/dining room. We can never have too much storage, but I worry it cuts down on the one thing we need more, living space. Also to keep the symmetry with the fireplace side of the room, the architect has also taken out an existing side door, which leads to an ugly cement patio where my gas grill lives. She pointed out we'll have plenty of doors along the back wall... but it's wonderful to be able to see what's flaming on my grill from the window at my sink AND be able to get to it quickly. Do I push for a change?

Also, we redid our small galley kitchen a few years ago w/tons of help on the old GW & don't want to gut it again (which was the architect's first instinct.) The architect wanted to keep the front room separate as an entry space, which I understand in theory. But I don't want to close off the kitchen -- opening it up was a big improvement in our reno -- and I really need more counter space than I currently have so adding walls just feels like the wrong direction!!

Any ideas? Any other issues or suggestions?? Thanks in advance!!

Comments (22)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor