SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shanphx

Built in refrigerator choices-analysis paralysis

shanphx
4 years ago

Hello everyone. I’m a long time reader, first time poster. We’ve been planning kitchen remodel for a while now. Thanks (?) to recent tax changes, I’m able to consi a built in refrigerator. The choices and cost considerations have me completely overwhelmed.

Backgroun: we’re a family of 5 that cooks 4-5 times / week and we are designated holiday hosts for 20-25. We have a super deep 36 inch 20 yr old monogram that sticks out quite unattractiveply and we needed to add fridge in laundry room to save sanity. Now I want counter depth. I would also love to eliminate the 2nd fridge so I can separate my front loaders and hang/fold laundry in there like a grown up. I was hoping a 42” would help accomplish that goal. Now my ever practicalpity slave DH insists he doesn’t want to bend over for ice- but I hate the in door jobber that drips all over front of fridge & floor. My poor brood suffers situational blindness when it comes to messes that will eventually cause minor damage that is too small to repair, but noticable enough to drive me bananas. Therefore, side by side with reach in ice is our best compromise.

The kids are are all teenagers and we’re thinking we’ll downsize in about 10 years. So resale is a factor.

Nitty gritty Question #1: The best east price I’ve found for a 42 inch with reasonably attractive handles is the GE cafe. Although, I suspect I would need the 48 inch in order to ditch the second fridge. Man, that seems like a lot of fridge for our average size kitche, especially when we’ll likely get rid of a few of these kids In a few years. Do you think we should stick with 42 and just continue folding clothes in living room like animals?

Question 2: models

The door shelves on the cafe seem very flimsy. Although the subzero is also plastic and a bit wobbly. I know SZ is supposed to last for ages, but consumer affairs website suggests otherwise. We’ve had GE monagagrams last us over 20 yrs, so for $3k less, GE seems fine to me.

I saw the viking yesterday and it was beautiful. Shelves seem sturdy, integrated depth and no bending over to get ice. I’m not finding much about reliability, and it’s $2k more than the cafe.

Then I spotted the 42 inch Samsung. Viking price, also gorgeous, slight bend for ice-again can’t find reliability data and not sure it does a thing for resale. I’ve read about lots of reliability issues with kitchenAid, so that one and Jenn Air (same manufacture) are off the list.

If DH insists on ugly door dispenser, I’m tempted to just stick with 36” counter depth, keep folding laundry on the sofa and take fabulous trip for 45th bday. Though if we struggle to sell the house in 10 years I may kick myself downright hard.

I sure would appreciate any insight, wisdom and experience you can offer. I’m overwhelmed already and we haven’t even started any of the hard stuff.

Comments (6)