SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uscroy

Advice on new kitchen dilemma (When will it end?)

uscpsycho
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I got some good news and bad news this week. My several year old Subzero freezer has an issue and because of its age they can't repair it or replace it with the same model. The good news is that Subzero will replace my freezer with a current model and buy back my fridge so I can get a new matching fridge too. Yay for me!

Bad news is that I have 36" all-fridge & all-freezer columns with two drawers each and they do not make a freezer in that configuration anymore so there is no direct replacement for my freezer. I think it's weird that they make a fridge in this configuration without a matching freezer. So that sucks. Picture of my fridge wall is below, for those who haven't seen it in a previous thread.

My Subzero options are two of the following:

1. All-fridge column with upper door and two drawers (same as I have now)
  2. All-fridge column with one single door
  3. All-freezer column with one single door
  4. Fridge & freezer combo column - Fridge inside top door with two freezer drawers below (look is the same as what I have now)

The thing is, I have really grown to like having the fridge drawers and prefer not to give them up. UGH!!! I assume I can pair #1 with #3 and put faux drawer panels & pulls on the freezer so it looks like #1. But is that chincy? I feel like it's tacky to have fake drawers in a kitchen like this. The idea of all three opening at once doesn't sit right with me.

If I don't do #1 and #3 the only other option I like is #2 with #3 but then I have no fridge drawers :-(

I could get two #4's but then I have no fridge drawers and only freezer drawers. I don't like the idea of only having freezer drawers.

(If it's not obvious, the fridge and freezer are on the very left and right sides of the wall.)

Comments (39)

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think I can take a buy-back of both fridge and freezer and use the money from Sub Zero to switch manufacturers, but as far I can tell nobody else makes an integrated 36" all freezer column with two drawers either. Does anyone know of one?

If I switch to another brand I'm attracted to Dacor's Modernist 36" integrated columns with inside cameras and push-to-open doors. I LOVE the idea of push-to-open doors because then I could eliminate six handles from my modern, minimalist kitchen. I also love that their freezer makes regular ice and cocktail ice (large slower-melting cubes) so I don't have to make my own big cubes. When I was first shopping for appliances Dacor didn't have the best reputation; I don't know how reliable they are today but they are ahead of Subzero with these features.

Thermador also has push-to-open doors but none of the other cool tech.

I know Samsung now owns Dacor which makes me worry. Subzero customer service has truly been AMAZING and the local certified repair center has been equally AMAZING. I've had a few issues and never had trouble getting them to fix things. But Samsung has a teeeeerrrrrible reputation for customer service, at least for consumer electronics like phones and TV's. Makes me worry if they'll take care of problems I might have with Dacor appliances as effortlessly as I've been accustomed to with SZ and Miele. Anyone know how Dacor service is these days?

This is from a website called Pissed Consumer so obviously everything is negative, but I worry about nightmares like these.

• chispa
    4 years ago

Who is paying for the new cabinet panels that might be needed?

Can you even get new panels that will match?

Sub-zero is really stepping up to try to make this right for you.

Do you think Samsung/Dacor would even come close to that level of service? Are you willing to take that chance?

• Related Discussions

Dilemma...when to post the 'finished' kitchen

Q

Comments (10)
    More pictures = better. Post now, and again later on. Please! And if you don't want advice about picking the decorative bits, just say so -- say, here's the kitchen so far, it's not quite finished yet. I know I look at all the finished kitchen pictures here not as a housing inspector, as florantha said lol, but as inspiration and as I'd look through a kitchen magazine. Even the ones not to my own style and taste are always hugely enjoyable to look at. Becky
    ...See More

High-end new kitchen without soft-close

Q

Comments (42)
    The Kitchen Place -- I had a similar experience!!! When my first cat was an only (I adopted her last year), she never, ever got up onto the counters or island. She didn't even know how to jump, really. Never got up onto anything other than the couch. Then this summer, we adopted a second cat, who is spritely! She jumped onto and into everything, and showed her friend how to do it. Now they're both jumping monsters! They left kitty pawprints all over my new range the other day!! Fresh from the litter! I'm thinking about trying Ssscat! I don't want them all over new counters and scratching up cabinets. They don't currently try to open cabinets, though. They go in as soon as one is open and get stuck in there (they haven't figured out that they can push their way out).
    ...See More

My kitchen in my new build ended up being 1 to 2 feet shorter

Q

Comments (39)
    It was originally supposed to be 14 feet long but somewhere between the design plans and foundation it got messed up. Right now it’s 11’ 2”. I‘ll include a photo of the original house plan. I had it modified slightly to make the kitchen wider and had it flipped. The designer did make the kitchen wider but cut the length. The foundation further cut the length. I should have paid more attention to the final plan but I trusted it was done how I asked. Love and learn I guess.
    ...See More

ADVICE NEEDED! Kitchen Island Pendant Lighting Dilemma

Q

Comments (11)
    Good stuff from Beverly above. If you're a visual person (like me) you can also try the balloon trick. Blow up some balloons to be the same size as the lights (as close as possible.) Or you could mock something up with cardboard which would work well since your lights are rectangular (and very cool by the way.) Then hang your mockups on strings from the ceiling. You can play with positioning and length of string to see what you think. Stand by them to check your sight lines when working at the counter, and check them from further away to see how they look. I did this when I replaced a light in my kitchen with a light that has 3 separate globes that can be hung at different heights. I moved my table under the mocked up "light", sat the kids down for dinner, and fiddled around with the strings until I was happy with the heights of the balloons compared to the table. Then I kept the mockup hung nearby for the electrician to follow as a guide.
    ...See More
  • wilson853
    4 years ago

I've had nothing but positive experience with SZ for the last 26 years so would be reluctant to suggest that you change manufacturers because it sounds like they are trying to help you out. Since you love the refrigerator drawers I'd keep that feature and match the freezer to make it look the same. Really no different than what you see on DWs quite often, but only you can decide how much that might bother you.

Dishwasher Panel · More Info

Kitchen Storage Solutions · More Info

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I haven't discussed new panels with SZ yet but I definitely can order them. If I go with #1 and #3 with faux drawers, I can reuse the panels that I have because I was told the drawers are the same size on the new models.

I just talked to my appliance salesman and he told me that SZ now has a push-to-open kit. That knocks Thermador out of the running. But they don't have an example on display, has anyone tried it? I'm a bit nervous about a retrofit kit for this because I've had a lot of issues with my push-to-open cabinets.

Yes, I am very nervous about what Samsung/Dacor service looks like. On paper, I like Dacor's feature set best; but now that SZ has push-to-open the difference is the cocktail ice, cameras and stainless steel interior. I think I'm going to stick with SZ at this point. Especially since if I switch brands SZ probably won't pay for installation (they will if I stick with them) and I'll lose the ability to negotiate for new panels.

I just need to figure out what the layout will be. I'm going to try to get to the appliance store today to check out all the options - SZ, Miele, Dacor and Thermador.

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    4 years ago

Do a 36" freezer column and put three panels on it to resemble the 36" refrigerator/current freezer.

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

I'd get a full fridge and use the existing panels and handles to match it. I don't think its that cheesy to use the dummies and retain function and form.

• chispa
    4 years ago

That's what I suggested on USC's other thread too.

Depending on your household the idea of the fridge/freezer combo column could be interesting too. This would also allow you to reuse your panels. I'm not a big freezer user, so having 4 freezer drawers would work for me.

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

OK, enough of you have suggested faux drawers to make me more comfortable with it.

But let me ask you this, from a purely aesthetic standpoint, would it be nicer to have a single-door fridge and freezer with no breaks or handles?

To be honest, I never wanted drawers in the first place. I wanted single fridge & freezer doors, that was the original vision but I got a deal I couldn't refuse on the units I have. Now I like having the fridge drawers (I don't care about and won't miss freezer drawers) but suddenly I have the option to get what I originally envisioned; and even better I can do it without any handles so it matches my handle-less motif.

So I guess the choice is between dummy drawers on the freezer or going totally handle-less. Thoughts?

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

Huh? How do you open the doors without handles?

• wilson853
    4 years ago

Since SZ's close so tightly, I would want to get a first hand feel for the push-to-open feature before I made that decision.

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Suzy - They would be push to open, just like some cabinets and drawers are. Lots of that in my kitchen.
    Wilson - I would absolutely like to see how the Sub-Zero retrofit kit works if I can find any showrooms that have it on display. If not I'd just have to trust that Sub-Zero would do it right and not screw up a good thing.

• Kim G
    4 years ago

I agree with Wilson - get to a SZ WOlf design center to try the push to open if they have it on the floor.. Miele is going this direction with their ArtLine series not yet in the US. I believe this in only on ovens/warming drawers/coffee makers - not sure about friges. In looking at your kitchen - I think 2 36” wide pure white panels floor to ceiling would look somewhat massive on each end, but that is my opinion , Using faux drawer fronts on your freezer I think would work fine particularly since you are opening it towards the wall. I think that would work fine. I LOVE my bottoms fridge drawers in my 36”SZ fridge Love my 30” freezer drawers too but unfortunately don’t see that in the cards for you at this point. I would be ok losing my freezer drawers before my fridge drawers if I had to choose.

• M
    4 years ago

I have briefly seen the SZ push-to-open feature in a store, and it looked fine. But it is only available for integrated fridges, so it unfortunately didn't work for us. We have a built-in fridge that is inset and flush with the cabinets. Similar look to integrated, but not exactly the same.

We opted for the single-door SZ refrigerator and for freezer drawers in the island. I think I generally really like it. I do have to open the door wide enough to get to the drawers in the refrigerator, though. This isn't a problem in our household. But you should make sure that works for you, as you seem to have a wall immediately next to your freezer.

On paper, I like Dacor's feature set best

That seems a common pattern with all Samsung appliances. They have the most impressive collection of features out there. But then, they often get the details wrong and things don't really work as well as you'd expect from just reading the spec sheet. I'd rather have a more back-to-basics appliances that actually works.

• Sammy
    4 years ago

I wanted single fridge & freezer doors, that was the original vision...

...suddenly I have the option to get what I originally envisioned; and even better I can do it without any handles so it matches my handle-less motif.

You’ve solved your own dilemma.

K.I.S.S.

;)

• Kim G
    4 years ago

Good point M about the interior drawers on a full freezer and making sure you have the appropriate clearance opening towards the wall.

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

There's a SZ showroom about 45 miles away. They said they have the push-to-open feature on display but it wasn't properly installed and it will be a month before they fix it. Ugh.

Kim - I wish you hadn't said that about the doors looking massive without handles. I had that concern in the back of my mind but hoped it was just me. Aesthetically, I think I'd still prefer a single pull on the left and right side than three pulls. Would love to hear what others think about 0 vs 1 vs 3 pulls. I wish I didn't care so much about how things look, but I do...

It may look like it in the photo but there are no walls adjacent to the fridge or freezer so no problem opening doors all the way.

Sammy - That is what I originally wanted before I realized that I like having the fridge drawers. And I wasn't sure if it would be acceptable to have faux doors on the freezer to match the fridge. It's not a pure turn-back-the-clock situation.

For Suzy and anyone else wondering how push-to-open works, here's an installation video, the first and last few seconds of the video show how it works but its not a great view - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21ZtMB40SHE

• Sammy
    4 years ago

“Sammy - That is what I originally wanted before I realized that I like having the fridge drawers. And I wasn't sure if it would be acceptable to have faux doors on the freezer to match the fridge. It's not a pure turn-back-the-clock situation.”

Actually, it’s exactly a “turn-back-the-clock” situation: you literally have the opportunity to have what you originally wanted...with Sub-Zero footing the bill, no less!

I think what’s happening here is you’ve fallen victim to what I have come to call The Cereal Aisle Effect. In other words, you have so many choices now that choosing Corn Flakes would seem so basic, yet they used to be your go-to!

It’s kind of like FOMO. :)

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

Seems like a great option if it works well. My columns are super hard to open, especially if you have to reopen after just closing it. Sometimes I have to use my whole body weight to jerk it open. But I think I'd still want a handle or the panels would get so dirty.

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sammy - It is not the same thing. When I first designed the kitchen and didn't want drawers it's because I had no idea how much I'd like fridge drawers. As I said, I only begrudgingly accepted them because of the deal I got. But after using the drawers I really like them. If I still didn't like the drawers then it would be exactly the same as before. But I have more information now.

francot - Thank you for that. But unfortunately your rendering is not one of my options because push-to-open is not available for drawers, it's only compatible with the single-door columns. So my options are what I have now with six pulls total, or two single doors with one pull on each, or two single doors with no pulls. Would you mind mocking it up as single doors with no drawers or pulls? I'm curious to see how it looks with monolithic unbroken doors.

I think I'd be willing to give up the fridge drawers if I loved the way one of the other two options looks.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    4 years ago

I like the look with handles better than without. I like the way the handles define the lines.

• wilson853
    4 years ago

uscpsycho, would you mind sharing what the issue was with your freezer and why it couldn't be fixed? I have that same freezer in the 27" version. Is there something that I should be on the lookout for?

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Rita - Do you like it better with two handles or six?

francot - Thanks for the edits!!!

The other "handles" you see between the fridge and freezer actually aren't handles. Those are recessed finger channels.

My kitchen has no pulls at all except for the appliances. What's cool (I think) is that the handles on the fridge and freezer are from Miele and they are the exact same shape as the handles on my ovens. Here's an overall kitchen photo before the cooktop, hood and faucets were installed. One of the drawers between the fridge and freezer was also out for an adjustment.

Does the photo change your opinion of having six handles?

• cpartist
    4 years ago

I prefer the handles because they help break up the space a little, like the oven handles do. The doors without look too massive without something to break up the space a bit.

Here you go seeing them as one column on each side.

First one is with no handles.

with handles

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks cpa! Same question to you, do you prefer with two handles or six?

Looks like nobody is crazy about the idea of no handles.

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

So i like one handle for the flat slab or dummies. I get why you like the sleek wall, but I think breaking it up and matching on the ends looks and maybe functions better. Your call.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

It NEEDS the "hardware" of handles. ...............: ) Unless you really love cleaning or fifty hand washes when making a big meal. Your ovens have handles. I don't see the issue. At all.

After a year of washing hand prints off your sleek appliance twenty times a day, you'll have destroyed the panel finish : )Or your elbow will need surgery.

• HU-552153687
    4 years ago

Before deciding on the LOOK, I think you need to answer the function related questions first, such as "if the doors are too tight to open with push -to-open" and if you would miss the convenience of accessing drawers that the one panel design does not offer.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    4 years ago

I still like the handles. And I am indifferent to the drawer versus no drawer configuration. I like it both ways, though the drawers are slightly better aesthetically for me.

Here is the thing I think you should keep in mind. These tiny decisions will not matter much, if at all, aesthetically. You are comparing all good options. What matters is the incredible amount of work you put into the original design for this kitchen. The whole matters, the flow matters, the way everything works together perfectly in your design matters. Whether or not you have handles or not is a functional issue at this point. Whether you choose the drawers or not- again function only. Aesthetically you made all the hard good decisions and these tiny issues are unimportant.

PS I am with you on disliking bogus paneling designs. I know they are standard. But they don't work for me.

uscpsycho thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • suzyq53
    4 years ago

To be clear, SubZero will pay for new panels?

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So, small update. I had my washer and dryer installed today by Subzero's authorized installation company. I asked them about the push-to-open kit and they were not shy about telling me it is crap and I should avoid it. He said to wait six months and SZ will get the kinks worked out. Makes me wonder if the one at the SZ showroom was really not installed properly or if the problem is the kit itself. That would explain why it will be at least a month before they "fix" it. Makes no sense that something improperly installed in the SZ showroom can't be fixed right away.

Something I just thought of - If I have fake drawer panels what if someone tries to open the freezer door using a fake drawer handle? Considering how tightly SZ freezers seal, they might do some damage to the panel if they pull against the hinges. Yes?

wilson - There is a problem with the frame of my freezer which makes it impossible to install properly and that is not something that can be repaired or replaced. They have to change the whole thing out. It came this way, if you don't have this problem right off the bat it's unlikely you're ever going to have it.

rita - Having drawers on the fridge means I have to have fake drawers on the freezer side, so six handles means there are two fake drawers. I know everyone other than you is OK with them but the idea still bugs me too, though a little less than before. And thanks for the pep talk :-)

suzy - I don't know if SZ will replace the panels. We haven't discussed that yet. My guess is they will for the freezer but not the fridge.

Thanks for all the other advice. If there was a freezer with drawers I doubt it would have crossed my mind to change the configuration. Which is ironic because originally I hated the idea of drawers. So now that I like drawers I'm struggling with the form over function decision because my most preferred function (fridge drawers) must be paired with my least preferred form (six handles + fake freezer drawers).

Tomorrow I'm going to go look at the 36" single-door SZ fridge to see how it feels compared to the drawers. It's been a long time since I gave it a look, maybe when I get my hands back on it I'll go back to liking it better.

• M
    4 years ago

We have the single-door 36" SZ all-fridge. I like it a lot. I find it really easy to keep organized. It still has internal drawers, though. And you have to open the door all the way to get to the far drawers. For us, it doesn't really seem to be an issue. But this might be a problem if you have a wall right next to the fridge.

And of course, if your workflow is different, then you might prefer the exterior drawers. As with a lot of these details, it's a very personal decision as to what works best.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    4 years ago

following...

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I spent a lot of time at the appliance showroom today looking at and obsessing over everything that comes in a 36" column (even though there were few actual 36" samples).

I considered switching brands but I am definitely going to stick with SZ for a variety of reasons. I'll spare you the details.

I am over the push-to-open feature after playing with Dacor and Thermador (better than Dacor) models. I think it would be OK if you don't have painted panels because you have to apply a lot of pressure and if you have painted panels, eventually you're going to see wear. You might eventually see wear with unpainted panels too. I think push-top-open is best for stainless steel doors.

But the bigger issue with push-to-open is that it's cumbersome. First you have to push with some force and wait for the motor to engage. Then you have to stick your hand behind the panel and pull. It's a multi-step process and takes five times longer to open the fridge. Eventually it's going to start feeling like a pain in the ass and you're going to put a handle on it anyway. I love it for a showroom or a vacation home but not for the daily driver. I also wonder about reliability because those motors are going to do a lot of work and if a motor fails you can't open the door.

One thing that people have mentioned a few times is that if you have an adjacent wall you'll have trouble opening interior drawers. I don't have adjacent walls, but for the benefit of anyone who stumbles upon this thread in the future, you'll have no problem opening the drawers on a SZ even if you have an adjacent wall because the door shelves aren't full-width and are designed to allow the drawers to fully open even if the door is open less than 90 degrees. At least that's the case for this model:

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm breaking this up into two posts so I don't have one monster post.

My other decision is drawers vs no drawers. Fortunately, they had all the 36" SZ models on display: single fridge door column, single freezer door column, all fridge with drawers and fridge on top with freezer drawers on the bottom. I must have looked like a crazy person bouncing around between them like a pinball.

They even had a 36" side-by-side SZ set with fake doors and drawers so I could really get a feel for that. Here's what was in the showroom, this display has fake doors on real doors and fake drawers on real drawers.

What I realized is that I think having real drawers on one side of my kitchen and fake drawers on the other side is a mistake. That just makes no sense. Either have real drawers on both sides or fake drawers on both sides. But they should be the same, mixing them is just weird.

More generally, I didn't like all these fake panels and pulls all over the place. And if I don't like fake drawers on real drawers, I'm going to like actual fake drawers even less.

So that kind of makes the decision for me. I'm going to get a a single-door fridge and single-door freezer with one handle on each. At least that's my final answer for today. LOL!

As for my preference to have fridge drawers, I can live without them (first world problems) but I will miss them.

So now I'll have to order new fridge and freezer panels and I have four extra Miele handles in white for sale. Anyone interested?

• gtcircus
    4 years ago

Interesting post. I have a SZ column fridge and love it. As another poster said, after you close it, it can be difficult to reopen. So good choice as to the handles! I went with two freezer drawers elsewhere and after using them for a while I got a deep freeze for the garage because I often shop at Sam’s and decided it wasn’t. So I think your plan of a column fridge and a column freezer is spot on. And SZ has been 100% wonderful with any issues so you were correct to stick with them, they want loyal customers. Wonderful post with good information.

uscpsycho thanked gtcircus
  • frodaddi
    4 years ago

Would it be possible to do (vertical) finger channels on the fridge / freezer door panels for opening? To match the panels in between?

• chispa
    4 years ago

Wow, that display is just nuts. It shouldn't have so many panels and pulls.

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think when we were first designing the kitchen we considered finger pulls for the fridge and freezer but it wasn't possible with the drawers. Now it can't be done, or it might be possible with significant modification.

Looking at it now, might also be too busy to see horizontal and vertical channels unless the vertical ones were white. But I just don't think it's feasible at this point.

I agree that display is not good. And it was done by a local cabinet shop to promote their company which is on a sign by the display.