SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_827471383

Want to hang mosquito netting around my balcony

HU-827471383
4 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm a relatively new condo-owner and want to hang a mosquito net across my balcony. I have to submit the proposal to the HOA board and am hoping to get it right on the first try. I want to avoid using staples and would rather hang from curtain rods or wires.

My deck is a simple rectangular space. The ceiling has a lip (or maybe an overhang--not sure how to call it) toward the front, so technically I could mount curtain rods behind the lip (vertical surface on the balcony-side, maybe 2 feet from the front of the balcony). However, if I do this, I'm not sure the best way to have the curtains overlap and cover the sides.

Right now, I'm leaning toward a wire mounted on the actual walls (rather than the ceiling or the "lip"). I'm thinking I could have a wire like this to run parallel to the ceiling, from one wall to the other, as high up as possible:

https://www.amazon.com/WIRE-CABLE-CURTAIN-SYSTEM-CLIPS/dp/B00GSEHIKM/ref=asc_df_B00GSEHIKM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=271780374366&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16878012288543522973&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026934&hvtargid=pla-453293902440&psc=1

And then hang these from it:

https://www.amazon.com/Sheer-Curtains-Panels-Curtain-Pairs/product-reviews/B0769LZP4W/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

I have a lot of small issues though, like:

- What happens if there are high winds? Should I run two wires across, one lower than the other to sort of prevent the curtain from flapping too much? Can I weigh them down with something at the bottom? If so, what? I'm in Dallas where the winds can be very violent.

- I need multiple curtains to run across the whole balcony. What's the best way to connect them? Buttons? Velcro? Magnets?

- How do I prevent bugs from getting in from the top? From the sides?

- If I'm drilling into the walls/ceiling to install this hardware, do I have to worry about the wood rotting due to these holes?

If anyone has gone through this or has ideas, I would really appreciate it.

Best,

Lekla

Comment