Floof! Presents!!!

amylou321

What is the BEST gift you have been given? I mean like MATERIAL gifts. The reason I say that is because when I ask this, a lot if people will say that the best gift they've been given has been their kids or grandkids or life or health and yada yada. That's lovely, but this is floof. Floof doesn't go that deep.
The best gift I was ever given was a puppy, Sammy. SO gave him to me two weeks after we started dating. Nothing else has compared. He is gone now, but he is still the number one gift I have ever received. Next would probably be the ring I got for my 26th birthday. White gold and sapphire, also from SO. I love it and hardly ever take it off. He's given me lots of stuff over the years. Most of them have been practical things,like a remote start for my old Corolla, a used SUV to haul my dirt and plants and decorations around, stuff for the kitchen,etc. But my most favorite things are non practical floofy things,like the ring and other jewelry, my Alabama wax warmer, a lot of little heart shaped doo dads....But Sammy the pit bull is and always will be number one. Always.
What about you? What was your favorite gift? Do you still have it? Who was it from? Was it for a special occasion or was it a "just because" gift? Tell me everything I am SO superficial sometimes.......

SaveComment30Like1
Comments (30)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Ha, you have me thinking hard, so it’s not so Floof for me. My favorite ones are probably my daughters art work. I am not thinking about their kindergarten works, even though I loved them, but the recent ones. The younger one makes me a calendar every year. I love the IPad my husband gave me. Also the neck/shoulder heating pad. That was on an Amazon wishlist, so it probably doesn’t count. This is a scratch board one my younger one did in a phase of scratchboard years ago. As for pets, we normally choose together as a family (except for fish).

5 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
bpath Oh Sophie

A shopping bag. Don't roll your eyes! It folds up into itself and zips. Open, it has a strong padded bottom. Inner pocket, too. I received it when such things were new, back in the 80s. I always took it on vacation to bring souvenirs and gifts home in. Still have it, still love it. Oh, and it's red.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
Fun2BHere

My first iPad was given to me in 2011 by my parents. Before then, I didn't even have a personal cell phone. It's hard to believe that it was only eight years ago as it seems like it was decades ago. Of course, I now have a newer model, but that first one was a complete surprise and provided lots of utility and entertainment over the years.

1 Like Save     Thanked by amylou321
kathyg_in_mi

For my birthday one year my DH gave me a check for a Million Dollars!!!

Of course, it was signed by the Easter Bunny.

Wish I still had it. He was so sweet!

3 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
susie53_gw

My yard buggy my hubby gave me for Christmas a couple years ago. Best gift ever!!

Believe me I was shocked because he has never been a great gift giver.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
OutsidePlaying

My DH totally surprised me with an iPad mini for Christmas not too very long after they first came out. He knew I loved to read on my trips back then and always hated having to carry multiple books. Of course I now have a larger iPad but I sure loved that mini.

DH and DD truly surprised me on my 60th birthday with a surprise party. I loved it and still remember the family and friends who came that night.

skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

For my sixteenth birthday my stepmother gave me a bag of cow manure. I was thrilled! (my mom was horrified). What a nice garden I had that year. ETA: I've had many wonderful gifts since then, but that certainly made a big impression.

DawnInCal

Boy, we are floofy tonight - what fun!

My best gift was given to me by hubby for my birthday a couple years ago. He gave me a stand and flex shaft for my Dremel. I LOVE that thing and use it nearly every day! In fact, i loved that gift so much that i started a thread about it here at the KT.

Other best gifts: Pentax camera with several lenses (back when people still used film), a canvas tote from the kids at the school where I worked (they painted flowers and signed their names on it using fabric paint), a sterling silver elephant ring from my best friend and a traveling jewelry making tote from another friend are a few that come to mind.

DawnInCal

P.S. Iris, your daughter is incredibly talented. You must be very proud of her.

gyr_falcon

Probably the used, slightly dented, Datsun 1200 coupe. It cost $600, and we were going to buy it so I would not be stranded when my husband took our car for work. We lived in a rural area, so I really did need transportation. An in-law stepped in and purchased the car for me, because he knew how tight money was for us at that time. It was a great little car! But soon after our first child was born, we were forced to trade it for a hatchback.

The two-door Datsun, with an angled tiny 10"ish access to what passed for the trunk, just was not designed for car seats, babies, strollers and all of the other gear necessary. The new owner loved the car too, and had it restored. He said later, after someone totaled the Datsun in an intersection T-bone, that he was really upset about losing that car.

blfenton

The running tights that my DS1 buys me. Over the last few years he has bought me 5 pairs for birthdays, Christmas etc. If it were left to me I would buy plain black ones but he buys the most colourful ones that he can find and yes, I wear them. I actually get stopped on the trails sometimes by people wanting to see the design or the picture on them.

Olychick

The first Mother's Day card given to me by my son, who was relinquished for adoption at birth, then he searched for me and found me when he was 21. I had no other children, so never imagined ever getting one.

15 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
watchmelol

A few years ago I mentioned to DH that although my mother's side of the family was horsey I missed out having been born too late. By the time I was old enough the horses were gone and I had never ridden. So on Christmas I opened a card with a gift certificate for 4 trail rides or lessons, mix or match. Well my wanting to just ride a horse turned into something much more. Due to health issues and outside circumstances I wasn't able to continue. So I spent the off time looking for someone who was willing to take an old woman seriously about wanting to become not just a rider but a horsewoman. A deafened woman with balance issues who suffers bouts of vertigo. LOL

Well I found that trainer trainer 16 months ago. I went in green except for nose to tail trail rides and a couple of lessons. So here I am a 68 year old woman who knew next to nothing about horses 4 years ago who now boldly steps into the herd, catches grooms, tacks, does ground work and rides weekly with the the goal of doing her first endurance by age 70. Best gift ever, a new lease on life after I lost most all activities I once loved due to sudden deafness.

Thanks to a groupon from DH.

16 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
marilyn_c

Prince, my first horse, birthday present when I was 11. Another gift that I loved was a video given to me by a close friend who had made films over the years of my horses and times we spent together. I had forgotten all about them. She gave me the video one Christmas and I had no idea what was on it. She had put the old films onto a video cassette...and I when it started playing, there was footage of many of my old horses, since passed away.

No. I don't have them any more. I lost the video in the flood, and Prince broke his leg and was euthanized January 19, 1966.

nickel_kg

A Kitchen-Aid stand mixer, given to me by DH 25-ish years ago. It was a total surprise! I had no idea stand mixers were of any use, because no one in my family had one (or would spend that much money when a hand mixer was so much cheaper). That work horse has made my life so much easier and tastier for so many years. I'm still touched that DH put so much thought into what I would enjoy.

Kool Beans

I have 2 and both were made for me by my mother. The first is a petite sized bunny doll. She has a couple of separate outfits complete with matching bloomers and ears. The other is a bag to use for my crochet. It was one of the last projects because of severe RA in her hands. In it, she had put a set of knitting needles and a rug hook that had belonged to my Grandmother.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

The most memorable gift was a birthday present given to me years ago by my ex. I adore cello music (Yo-Yo Ma is my hero) so I received a cello (rental) and a series of 10 lessons. Sad to say, even as a child I was not musically inclined and as an adult, it becomes even harder to learn how to play an instrument. All I managed to learn was various versions of "twinkle, twinkle little star" using different chording and tempos. It wasn't pretty. So I did not take it further than the 10 lessons and continue to enjoy the cello played by much more skilled "real" musicians :-)

But of all the gifts he gave me over our years together, that is the one I remember most fondly.

lgmd_gaz

Quick thinking about this took me back to 1996 when my daughter surprised me one day with a knock on the door holding a big box. She had driven 300 miles to surprise me with my first computer. We had lunch and she hooked it up (no internet then) showed me the basics, said "there ya go, Mom. Have fun", and left to drive the 300 miles back to her home.

As is often said, "the rest is history".

Edited to add another much loved gift. For our 30th anniversary my Husband surprised me with a 30 foot flag pole (complete with US flag). I came home from work that day to see it flying beautifully in our front yard from a block away. I was thrilled!

caflowerluver

My Samsung tablet that DH bought 5 years ago. He replaced the battery ($20) about a year ago when it started having problems and it has been fine since then. I love my tablet because I can sit in my recliner with a cup of coffee or tea and surf the web for hours. A lot more comfortable than sitting at a desk where I have a laptop hooked up to a monitor.

Yayagal

My husband and I bought my parents their first home. They always rented. It was a gorgeous Victorian single home in Boston. They had the best years of their lives there as did the rest of my six siblings as we celebrated parties and holidays there.

georgysmom2

I've been thinking about this a lot and it's hard to choose, but I'll go with my first set of golf clubs. When I first decided to play golf, DH had some winnings in the pro shop so he bought me an inexpensive set of Rams. I took a few lessons and went out to play with a neighbor, The next year when golf season arrived, I got discouraged and gave up for that season. The following year I decided that was silly, I had an investment in clubs, shoes and a golf cart so I went back to it. I love being outdoors and spending time with good friends. The past few years I've had health issues and haven't played much golf.....this is my comeback year so I'm working my way back. Before health problems I was playing 18 holes 3 - 4 times a week. Right now I'm up to 12 or 13 hols and hope to be back to 18 holes before the season is over. It's a little difficult because I have a bad knee but I'm determined. Had it not been for that initial investment, golf would not be on my radar right now. It gives me something to strive for.

nicole___

1) When I was a little kid my dad used to bring home water turtles, live ones off the golf course. We'd release them back into the lakes in the Fall. I had a box turtle when I met my Dh. 2) He slip casted a turtle candy dish for me & put my pet turtles name on the bottom. Ossa.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
yeonassky

I guess the best present DH gave me so far is my little laptop. I use that thing all the time to listen to shows when I am doing paperwork or cleaning or cooking. I'm much more relaxed and enjoy the time when I'm listening to something.

The worst presents we're the ones from my parents. They liked to buy me clothes which were in colours I would never wear and very boyish.

terilyn

Best gift from hubby by far was a brand new Porsche, he got it for me while I was on a girls trip to Mexico! I was shocked when I got home! Loved that car!

PKponder TX Z7B

The first thing to come to my mind was the book by Stephen King 'Under The Dome' in large print. When my daughter lived near Portland Maine, she sent me a picture that she took of Stephen King's home. We talked about it and the fact that I'd given up a lifelong hobby of reading Stephen King novels because I could no longer read normal text without readers and I was pissed about it. She gave me that novel for my birthday and it helped me accept that reading glasses shouldn't be a barrier to enjoying a former passion. I love that she did that for me.

sprtphntc7a

one of the best was a bird bath back in the 90's... i was down the shore with the kids, he was home working his day job and he surprised me with a much wanted bird bath!! he put rocks around it and made it look so pretty!! it was so special because he put so much thought to placement and 'presentation'., & he knew i really wanted one!! just so sweet!!

still have today but concrete wearing away so a new one is in order.

ladypat1

My first pet, a chihuahua puppy, when I was 11. Dad brought her home in his coat pocket on Christmas eve. He said " Cup your hands and close your eyes!" Best gift ever! 54 years ago.

marcopolo5

Sprtphntc, you might consider trying to reline the dish part of your bird bath with sackret quickset cement. We were able to save my grandmothers birdbath from the 30 s. Mix as directed, put on rubber gloves and smooth it around in a clean birdbath . Has lasted for many years. We do cover the birdbath in freezing weather. No heater used in that one

PRO
Anglophilia

Oh my goodness! I couldn't begin to say. I've received many lovely gifts, some much-wanted, over the years. I guess if I had to chose just one, it was the little child's roll-top desk in the Montgomery Ward catalog I desperately wanted and got for Christmas when I was 6. I was very ill with pneumonia and was up being taken to the bathroom when my father and a neighbor carried it into the LR. They thought I saw it but it was under a sheet and I was so feverish and sick I didn't really put it together, so next morning I was surprised. I loved that desk and hated it when I outgrew it.

Save     Thanked by amylou321
matthias_lang

Bicycle at around 10 years. That was like a gift from the gods. It was for Christmas. After that, my night-time dreams of being able to fly stopped, I think because with the bike, I could fly.

Jose Morgado has over 30 years of well-rounded construction and masonry experience. He brings authentic artisan... Read More
Jose Morgado has over 30 years of well-rounded construction and masonry experience. He brings authentic artisan... Read More