SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coop522

Siding - which way to go

Robin Cooper
4 years ago

The prior owners of our home used aluminum siding on much but not all of the house. The original cedar shakes were left by the kitchen & dining room in the back and the outside wrap around covered porch on one side. Half of the back of the house is aluminum. The side by our garage is all aluminum. The front side of the house that abuts he garage side is aluminum. The other side of the front is the remainder of the covered wrap around porch which is all stone. For my photo of the front I had to combine 2 pics & put in an insert of the detail by the front door.

We are in the middle of combining our kitchen & dining room which has involved replacing & raising the kitchen windows and replacing the dining room windows with much needed sliding doors so we could access the backyard. In order to do this the contractor had to patch the existing shingle siding in the back because we cannot also re-side the whole house now.

Now we’re wondering if we should bite the bullet & do the siding now too. Our insulation is atrocious and aesthetically, well, the mix & match is the least of its ugliness. That aluminum is just awful. So, do suck it up & keep going with the wood shingles or go for vinyl? If we do wood we have a head start on part of the back & side but would that “savings” equal the cost of doing all vinyl? I like the stone that is there so I’d keep it & that covers a good portion of the front & side porch.

Trying to figure out if we can go for it & if we do, which way do we go. Any help in figuring out a cost estimate is also helpful.

Comment