SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lybern

1/2' or 3/4' - which way to go?

lybern
14 years ago

We are replacing a showerbody and can use 3/4" or 1/2". There is 3/4" there now. If we go with 1/2 it will be much cheaper because of the availability of shower bodies and trim etc. and the plumber is making all sorts of noises about it being a much bigger job than he thought if he has to use 3/4". (I can't see why it is a bigger job since it is already 3/4 but it's not what he was expecting so I guess that raises the price for me....) My question is whether there will be a noticeable difference in the performance of the shower if we switch to 1/2. I want to use a fixed shower head plus a hand-held on a 3-way diverter so both can run at the same time. Will the 1/2" give us enough volume to have an enjoyable shower - and enough to justify more than twice the cost of using 1/2"? Will the 3/4 take away too much water from the rest of the house? Plumber came today but didn't have materials for 3/4" - I already had the shower body here - so he's coming back in the morning. Now I got a second shower body - 1/2" (much cheaper) - so I have 8 hours to decide!

Comments (2)