SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whreed18

Mixing interior and exterior hardware finishes?

Wynne Kurtz
4 years ago

We are currently in the process of building a custom home. At this point we only have foundation poured but have chosen the majority of finishes. The only thing I keep going back and forth on is finishes on door hardware. All metal finishes in the kitchen are chrome, basing this around a refurbished 1940s stove that is the focal point of the room. The bathroom fixtures are also all chrome, again I like a classic post-war look. The house itself is a traditional two-story, Southern style with white lap siding and red brick foundation. On the exterior metal finishes I have opted for black: door hardware, light fixtures, and accents on the garage doors. Inside I have picked nearly everything chrome: plumbing fixtures, light fixtures (schoolhouse style), cabinet knobs, etc. I keep thinking I want the interior door hardware to be black to match the exterior but I have no other black fixtures planned inside. I'm afraid if I went with chrome door hardware it would be too much of a modern look (again going for a bit of a post-war vibe). Would it be a mistake to have black in the interior only on the doors? I know mixing metals isn't a no-no but I don't typically decorate with much black and would not be repeating it elsewhere in the design. I'd appreciate anyone's suggestions or thoughts. I attached pictures of the interior knobs I'd be picking from but also open to alternative suggestions, will be using Emtek hardware for doors.

Comments (12)