SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grapefruit1_ar

Been there? Done that?

grapefruit1_ar
4 years ago

We are seeing vacation suggestion threads appearing this time of year. Are there places that you have been to but have no interest in going back? Perhaps it had no appeal or maybe you have been there several times and see no need to return.

The top of my list is Las Vegas. Once was more than enough ( I do enjoy the shows however)., Bermuda comes to mind because I have been there several times and it has no further draw. Next would be any " resorts"... no lounging, no massages, no sipping cocktails for me. Aruba makes the list, too.

Do you have any ?

Comments (29)

• aok27502
    4 years ago

Aruba came immediately to mind. Wind swept, not very picturesque, and a snotty dive boat captain. Too many other places to go!

grapefruit1_ar thanked aok27502
  • eld6161
    4 years ago

I am trying to think very hard about this. I think that there are places that I would like to see and once would be enough. But, that said, if I had to return for whatever reason, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Las Vegas could be my example as well grapefruit. We went once, which was fun, but then we were invited for a 25th anniversary party. It was fine going back.

Niagara Falls could be another. Nice to see once. But again, I would not be opposed to going again should the need arise.

Aok, funny. Aruba although not on my list, seems to be a favorite of a few of my friends. They go yearly.

grapefruit1_ar thanked eld6161
  • Related Discussions

Wish-List Crosses....Have They Ever Been Done???

Q

Comments (1)
    The problem might be that no one worries too much about the foliage, judging standards are all about blooms. One that might meet your criteria is Potinara Hoko Gem 'Freckles'. Certainly does re. the foliage, but some spots might rule it out. Here is a pic. of a very desirable species with No pseudobulbs. But alas the colour is not as required.
    ...See More

Cleaning/Conditioning leather sectional that has never been done

Q

Comments (4)
    With leather, you can pretty much recondition/clean/restore most any part of it as long as the hide is not cracked and peeling. Oils and dirt from your hands and head attack the tannins in the hide and if not cleaned periodically will cause the hide topcoat to fail. When that happens, it is not repairable and needs to be recovered. You do not need anything fancy to clean your leather. You can use Club Soda on a white washcloth, or for a a bar of plain Ivory soap lathered (but not sopping wet) on a white washcloth as well. That works! If you need to restore the color from sun fade, Mutlimaster makes a Color kit for about $ 90. You send them a sample of the hide, they custom blend you a dye kit. It works remarkably well. Follow up with their Leather Conditioning kit and the results are noticeable. I use these products myself on the pieces in my home. Don't ever buy that leather protection warranty from a retailer. That's a sham, and the coating that is put on top of your new sofa can do more harm than good. For certain once that is applied none of the upholstery makers will warranty the hide if it de-laminates, etc. All you need is a cleaning schedule and using simple soap and water and your leather will stay nice looking for years and years. Duane Here is a link that might be useful: Pro Leather Repair Products
    ...See More

Has this been done? Tiling

Q

Comments (9)
    you bet you can tile it. I worked at a high end entry door company for years here in austin, we did the doors on lance armstrong's house, I was a designer but I got to go to the site while it was under construction, the home has a half million dollar pool spa combo and the entire interior surface is tiled in onyx (a hard type of travertine), I'm guessing $40-$50k worth of tile. lots of folks building these tuscan mansions out here in the southwest, texas, scottsdale, vegas, etc., are building pools that are tiled all the way with natural stone. natural stone is a good choice because it's spent the last 10 million years under water anyway:-) glass tile would be the most awesome and actually very appropriate for a pool, but you might get priced out in a hurry as most are $10/ft and UP. when installing the tile, make sure you clean the surface with solvent, make sure it is bone dry and it's above 60 degrees with no chance of rain. use white poly modified thinset mortar and latex the crap out of it. use a 1/4" V notch trowel, use a 1/8" V notch if you use glass tile. you shouldn't have any problems with it. as far as tile size goes, it depends on your pool, but for good adhesion you want 100% contact, so if your pool has big sloping sides, make sure the entire tile is making contact. use sanded grout and solvent seal the crap out of it, 10 coats if you can afford it. you may even want to consider putting down an epoxy sealer. post pics when you're done, these always come out great.
    ...See More

Roman Shades- Looking for been-there-done-that

Q

Comments (4)
    I made insulated shades for almost every window. Yes, the plastic rings do become brittle & break. You can zig zag them on with your machine. I used clear monofilament thread. I also used the screw eyes & a cleat. For weight in the bottom I used a threaded rod from Home Depot. I think it's 3/8". Be careful if you have window locks & they happen to stick out. You have to lift the shade over the lock or you'll eventually tear the hem out. The magnets stuck to the side of the window, if you use them, will also eventually lose their stickiness & come off. You can use double sided tape to stick them back on. Our Joann's have everything you need. Even a little book on how to make them. The site below has a book you can order & made them side drawn for patio doors. They are very warm & they look nice. A nice feature is they are room darkening, so perfect for bedrooms. My granddaughter used to take LONG naps. Here is a link that might be useful: Directions & materials
    ...See More
  • l pinkmountain
    4 years ago

New Year's Eve cruise to the Cayman Islands and Jamaica. Dad thought it would be a good family bonding event. I got bronchitis and spent 1/2 of the trip wrapped up in a navy blue seaman's blanket over a hooded sweatshirt in a lounge chair on the deck. My stuffed-up head made me get very seasick down in my cabin which is why I couldn't recoup down there. The time aboard ship was boring and I felt claustrophobic. I got so bored I got a pedicure, my first and probably last. The excursions were creepy, nice places but overcrowded with tourists and folks trying to sell stuff or services to tourists, kind of like seagulls crowding around you on the beach. Not very relaxing.

grapefruit1_ar thanked l pinkmountain
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Jamaica on my list too. Nice to see one time.

We stayed at one of the all-inclusives and felt safe there. Off the resort, not so much. It’s a poor country with some inhabitants interested only in your possessions and money.

San Antonio too. Nice to see, but really not that much there to interest us in a second look.

grapefruit1_ar thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • jojoco
    4 years ago

We’ve been to Aruba twice and love it there. Great snorkeling, friendly people and the constant breeze makes it feel much cooler than it is.

We went to the Dominican Republic last year and didn’t like it at all.

grapefruit1_ar thanked jojoco
  • User
    4 years ago

I used to go to Vegas for a food show every year, and while I'm not a fan, I do think every American should see it once, it's a telling example of our culture.

I didn't care for Aruba, I'm not a fan of the arid islands. I will never go on another cruise or go to another all inclusive resort, it's just not me.

Domestically, not a fan of Phoenix, loved the Grand Canyon, and enjoyed driving amidst the scenery that is so different from the Northeast, but Phoenix just felt like urban sprawl on steroids to me.

grapefruit1_ar thanked User
  • msmeow
    4 years ago

New Orleans. Though I might consider revisiting since the only area we saw was around Bourbon Street. We always say it's a place of a thousand smells, all BAD.

Mazatlán, Mexico - the biggest, most obnoxious tourist trap we've been to outside of the US.

Alaska. Nothing bad to say, I'm just not a fan of mountains or cold. Once was enough for me.

Donna

grapefruit1_ar thanked msmeow
  • IdaClaire
    4 years ago

I've cruised three times and am not particularly keen on doing that again. Have no burning desire to return to a number of places in the Caribbean - the Bahamas, Barbados, Haiti. But it was mostly the experience of being onboard a ginormous sailing vessel that holds no interest. Everything about it felt "manufactured" to me, even the shore excursions, as has been noted above.

DH and I have taken many trips to Mexico, but that's another country that I tend to feel we've "been there, done that" about. Particularly since we used to enjoy imbibing in alcohol, and there was no shortage of opportunity for that everywhere we went -- now that we have a different outlook on that sort of thing, our desires have done a complete 180. And yes, I know that you can go to Mexico without experiencing the "party", but I still feel no strong pull back to anywhere in the country at this point in my life. We also thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Panama a couple of years ago, and still marvel that we were able to experience working in the rainforest as we did, but again - "been there, done that" and can't envision returning, particularly to Panama City, which was sprawling and congested, and pretty much exactly as I envisioned it would be.

I've never been to Vegas and don't care if I never do. I'm not even sure if I'd go if the trip were free -- I just have zero interest in seeing it. I've passed through Hawaii once, and spent a few hours on Waikiki, but again - not a place that's on my list of "must see." Actually, the older I get, the smaller my list becomes. Then again, sometimes a place I fully expect to dislike - such as Manhattan - just bowls me over and makes me fall unexpectedly in love!

grapefruit1_ar thanked IdaClaire
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

DH and I have both been to Hawaii many times for business and a couple of times we extended our business trips for vacation. We also went to Maui with family. We probably won’t go back, although we always enjoyed our times spent on Kauai.

grapefruit1_ar thanked OutsidePlaying
  • sushipup1
    4 years ago

Colonial Williamsburg. Meh. Even though I was very interested in excavations at Martin's Hundred, where my ancestors were first of the resettlers in 1623.

I'm also a no-resort person, much more into museums, architecture, restaurants, natural sites, etc.

grapefruit1_ar thanked sushipup1
  • 3katz4me
    4 years ago

I usually don't go back to the same place twice no matter how much I liked it. Too many places in the world that I want to see that I haven't been to yet. Places I have been that I really didn't care for included the Dominican and Las Vegas. I went to these places for work and a wedding - would never have gone at all were it not for those "requirements". We're not big resort/beach people at all - once every 20 years or so we get in the mood for a tropical vacation - so any beach resort kind of place is somewhere I'm unlikely to return to or go to at all.

grapefruit1_ar thanked 3katz4me
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    4 years ago

There are a lot of places I won't go back to, but it's more because I prefer them the way I used to know them. Key West, for instance, which I remember when it was a long, frequently-boring drive (in the places where there was no water view and all you could see was mangroves) to the least touristy place in the Keys. Back then not many people went there because it was mostly just a port with worse beaches than the rest of the Keys. What it is now I have no desire ever to participate in again.

Or Sanibel. When we started going there you went by ferry and there was Bailey's general store in a wooden shack by the ferry landing, and a few cottage colonies to stay in. I just had to go over there on business a week ago and I could hardly bear it. Even our old house has been so added to and generally tchochkefied that I wouldn't have recognized it if it weren't for the location.

So for places like those, I much prefer my memories to the current reality, and not just places in FL, either. London is another one. I was madly in love with London for years when I was young, but the London of today doesn't interest me at all.

grapefruit1_ar thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • grapefruit1_ar
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I agree with so many of the places that you have listed. I should have said cruises, too. I have only ever enjoyed those that went to wonderful ports. We did one Caribbean cruise because a lot of extended family wanted to go, Never again. However we are going on a European river cruise next month because of the ports.

Writersblock, I still love London and will go there for a few days on our way home from our cruise.

• Yayagal
    4 years ago

Key West, Palm Beach, all cruises and very hot places. I can't tolerate heat anymore. When I go to Europe, which is my favorite and been to all of it, we go in the cooler months.

grapefruit1_ar thanked Yayagal
  • LynnNM
    4 years ago

Caribbean cruises: The crowds, the silliness, the (for us) wasted time on the ship. No thanks! We took a week-long cruise there once. Very nice connecting rooms, etc. , but since then we've just flown to where we wanted to visit and rented a place there for the week.

Las Vegas: went once, but it really was a waste for us since we don't gamble and, as nonsmokers, the smoke everywhere was a bit much for us. I think we'd like the shows, but just don't want to deal with the rest.

Waikiki and Honolulu in general: We spent a few days there on our way back from a week on Kauai. We stayed at a hotel right on Waikiki Beach. What a disappointment! And, to me, Honolulu was like a tropical Detroit, lots of traffic, dirt, noise and congestion. Although we did enjoy snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, Kauai was, hands-down, so much nicer!

Sedona, Arizona: too hot and arid, although we did love our stay at a condo on the river in cool, shady Oak Creek Canyon.

San Diego, LA and San Francisco: I've been there many times; beautiful, but the traffic congestion is just such a hassle; I don't want to deal with it again.

Atlanta: same: I've been there many times; beautiful, but the traffic is horrendous! For me, it's not worth the hassle anymore. We fly into peaceful Columbia, SC now when visiting our DS & DIL in Augusta. And, thankfully, my 3 siblings who used to live in Atlanta for a number of years, got sick of the traffic to and from work, and moved back to Michigan!

Niagra Falls: Been there twice; amazing but once you've seen it a time or two. for me it's just not that worth seeing again

Cancun and Mexico in General: wonderful people (except for the criminals), gorgeous scenery, great diving, gorgeous resorts, and great food. But, too dangerous for my comfort pretty much anywhere outside of our gated, all-inclusive resort there. Our chauffeur carried a gun. The guards at the always closed gate to our resort (and every other resort we went to) were always armed. The drivers and others on our resort-run tour bus outside our resort were armed. And, along one highway to the ruins, there were armed guards in treehouse-like posts. So incredibly sad!

Galvaston Island: other than shrimp offered everywhere, not all that much to do there.

grapefruit1_ar thanked LynnNM
  • User
    4 years ago

Because I haven’t liked them in the past, no to: cruises (wow! look at that water); Cancun and other Mexican resorts. No because I’ve been there multiple times: Hawaii, Sedona, CA coast, FL (except to visit friends/play golf), ME, MA, England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and Italy. I‘m going to France this fall likely for the last time. I will only go to Myrtle Beach to play golf. I wish I had someone to join me in a trip to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.

grapefruit1_ar thanked User
  • IdaClaire
    4 years ago

Our Mexico experiences were a bit different, in that we discovered early on that we didn't care for resorts. We often rented an apartment or condo in a colonia outside the main tourist areas. On one of our last trips, we were in a neighborhood where a good many spoke little English, and our Spanish is just about nonexistent. Chickens and stray dogs everywhere. Children everywhere. It was so lovely and vibrant, and we never once felt unsafe. (On one of these trips, DH actually helped the man in the house behind us with a construction project that the man had going on. They communicated with hand gestures and facial expressions, and it all just seemed to somehow work!) So I guess I'm actually feeling fortunate to have experienced Mexico in the ways that we did -- not from behind a fortress (although there's nothing WRONG with that), but literally "in the trenches" on at least that one occasion, as it gave me a strong sense of who the Mexican people are at their core. I like them. I like them very much. For that reason, I'm a little surprised I don't feel a yearning to go back, but I really don't. To everything there is a season ... right?

• just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

What Writer said about places in Florida.

I usually have fun wherever I go but there are a few places I didn’t like enough to go back. On that list is Mexico, Puerto Rico, Dublin, maybe Croatia, VT, NH , liked Maine but have no desire to see Kennebunk or Bar Harbor again . No desire to go to Las Vegas as we don’t gamble. I’m not overly fussy about going to tropical islands anymore as I live close to the beach. Probably won’t cruise again after that 60 minutes episode showing all the feces germs on buffet serving utensils.

Places I would return: Italy( love the Amalfi Coast). France (going again soon) , Spain (only stayed in Madrid, so, much to explore).

My favorite place is Devon England as the walks are fabulous. I wanted to rent a cottage there this year but left it too late. Didn’t like the available picks. My dream would be to spend a summer in Devon as my hub and take a few day or couple nights trips to Cornwall and the Costswalds. I would like to further explore both those areas . The Costwolds are lovely.

grapefruit1_ar thanked just_terrilynn
  • cawaps
    4 years ago

I probably wouldn't do the Mexican resort thing again, but I wouldn't write off Mexico or even Cancun (my last resort vacation). Resorts are not typically the way I've traveled (my ex planned that trip, and the all-inclusive approach worked for his lazy approach to planning). I'm not much for lying on the beach, and prefer to see sights, meet people, and appreciate the culture.

In general, I don't like to repeat the same thing, but that doesn't translate into not doing the same destination. I've been to Hawaii's Big Island 5 times, and did different things every time. Even when we nominally did the same things, nature--mainly the Kilauea Volcano--had completely changed what there was to see and experience.

• Sueb20
    4 years ago

Lynn, go to Sedona in the spring! We were there in early April and it was beautiful, about 70 degrees every day. Sedona is one place I’d return to, and I’ve been there twice.

Aruba. I think we’ve been 3 times. It was an easy February vacation with kids. I’m all set with Aruba now.

Vegas. Spent 24 hours there, that was enough.

Cancun.

Cape Cod in the summer. Just too busy.

Tucson is one place I wouldn’t ordinarily return to but...DS is living there so I will be back!

grapefruit1_ar thanked Sueb20
  • suero
    4 years ago

I go to London every year. Not touristy London, but neighborhood London. Except for the British Museum. Every year I look at another section. Eventually, if I live long enough, I'll see it all. London, like New York, has so many different areas, each with its own vibe. I'll never tire of it.

On the other hand, One night of seasickness in a windjammer was more than enough for me.

grapefruit1_ar thanked suero
  • IdaClaire
    4 years ago

Your London trips sound heavenly, Sue. I cannot imagine ever growing tired of the British Museum.

• jill302
    4 years ago

For me Mexico, primarily the Mexican Riviera. It has always been an inexpensive visit from So Cal so I have over done it. No interest in going back. Dominican Republic was once and done. MiamI/South Beach, it was fun a few times, loved the Cuban food and Art Deco buildings but no need to go back. Funny I have probably been to Vegas 50 times and I still enjoy going once a year or so. It is a 4 hour drive or a 45 minute flight so perfect for a short get-away. Not a big gambler but I usually go with girlfriends, some who gamble so most the time we get our rooms comped. Enjoy catching a couple of shows, trying new restaurants, going to a spa, and just hanging out at the pool. If it is the right time of year we will hike in the Red Rock Canyon area. Can understand it being a once and done for anyone who has to travel any distance, I would likely feel the same.

grapefruit1_ar thanked jill302
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

Same here for Las Vegas. We have flown into and out of Vegas a couple of times on our way to Zion, Bryce and other points in Utah for the convenience. We did happen to catch an Eagles concert there one night before our flight home the next day.

Cruises don’t appeal to us but we did take one from Vancouver thru the inner passage of Alaska to Seward and enjoyed that. It was a smaller cruise line.

I used to visit England about 5 times a year for several years and could always find something to do, or re-do. I felt the same about the British Museum and National gallery. I mostly stayed in London, Bedford, or near Farnborough. Was invited to a wedding once in the area Ida has visited in Cornwall. I stayed in the little sea coast town of Fowey but the wedding itself was at an estate out in the countryside. Fabulous! Would definitely go back there and spend more time.

grapefruit1_ar thanked OutsidePlaying
  • IdaClaire
    4 years ago

Ahhhh ... Fowey has a piece of my heart. Gorgeous little place!

• gsciencechick
    4 years ago

Orlando! I'm going there next week for my conference, and it's the least favorite city where we host the meetings. It's not walkable or interesting in any way.

Since I grew up in the area, I've been to Niagara Falls many times, and at least it's fun to go with people who've never been.

grapefruit1_ar thanked gsciencechick
  • Feathers11
    4 years ago

Interesting question and interesting answers!

We took the kids to Disney World and Universal when they were young, and met up with another family we knew for a few days. That one trip was enough for me, but this other family goes back every year. Every. Single. Year. Their kids are grown and they're now bringing the grandkids. I don't get it. This is a well-traveled family that has been all over the world. Yet Disney is their go-to.

I've taken a break from beach vacations because I'm still able-bodied to do more active vacations. I can relax on a beach for perhaps an afternoon, but that's it. Again, we have friends who do the all-inclusive, swim-up bars, cocktails all day, beach games, etc., and they love it. But it's not for me. There's a Camino de Santiago and a few NatGeo adventures in my future... then, later in life when I'm too tired to do anything, I'll lie on a beach.

grapefruit1_ar thanked Feathers11
  • neetsiepie
    4 years ago

My daughter and I were just discussing Seattle the other day and this topis is so timely. We're both going, at different times, for a brief visit for a specific reason. Neither of us wants to stay any longer than necessary because it's just so been there-done that. I guess since we live in the PNW and there are closer water features and Portland is A LOT easier to get around than Seattle, we just don't feel like spending the time and huge amounts of money it costs for something we can do for a lot less locally.

I tend to like to go back to places I love and seek out new experiences each time. I actually don't mind Vegas since I just love to people watch. I don't drink, so that eliminates a lot of the activities that go on there, but I do enjoy letting loose and what a perfect place to do that!