Male bluebird still visiting box after female is gone

Amie Keddy

Hi -- what do I do if the male bluebird is visiting the box, but the female was scared off and two of the four eggs were taken? I don't want to discourage him, and I don't know if I should remove the nest so there can be another brood...is he trying to attract another mate? The female has been missing for a week.

SaveComment1Like
Comments (1)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Rob Armstrong

I recommend cleaning out the box. It's normal for the male to keep coming back to the house after the nest has been abandoned by the female. The female (or any other female) will not reuse the nest. They will often start over once the nest is cleaned out (although not always right away).

Even during the winter, bluebirds will use an empty bluebird house for shelter. So after the summer season, I always make sure my bluebird boxes are cleaned out. Typically, they will not use a box if there is still an old nest in it

I have attached one of my favorite winter bluebird pictures to this post.

I also just added a video of a bluebird waiting out a snowstorm in my backyard on my web page: BluebirdsPlus

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Entertaining Genius Home Prep: A Guest Room in a Box
No dedicated guest room? Make hosting overnighters easier by keeping the essentials in one place
Full Story
Gardening Guides How to Bring the Joy of Bluebirds to Your Garden
Attract these beautiful songbirds with nesting habitat and food sources, including berry-producing trees and shrubs
Full Story
Front Yard Ideas Before and After: Front Lawn to Prairie Garden
How they did it: Homeowners create a plan, stick to it and keep the neighbors (and wildlife) in mind
Full Story
At Forward Design Build, we tailor every design to fit our clients’ styles and to accommodate their needs. We... Read More
Whether you need help with a kitchen, bath, or any other space, I will work with your tastes and preferences to... Read More