OT......Do you have favorite expressions ?
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (28)
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Discussions
A Bit OT: Do You Cut and or Dry Your Flowers For Bouquets?
Comments (19)Catkin, I agree that an outdoor, in the shade, bouquet is great to have. My favorite feature is that the bees continue to visit the flowers that way. I didn't know they'd last for weeks though, I have got to give that a try. Great tip! My most reliable flowers for cutting are: Rudbeckia hirta - these last for 2 weeks in a vase! Scabiosa caucasica - good long stems, I cut it when the center hasn't opened yet, they last for 7-10 days. Annual snapdragons, Rocket mix Globe thistle - everyone seems to love this one. It's a PITA in the garden (reseeds) but I keep it due to popular demand. Heuchera flower spikes - just adore the zing that these add, no matter what color you have. tall phlox Russian sage Bennary's Giant zinnias Catananche, aka Cupid's Dart - flower looks like chickory, and the seedpod dries into a little pearly sphere. Looks great either way! Yarrow. Cut it right at the base and strip off all the foliage. Lamb's ears flower spikes, but only if cut before they fully open. Shasta daisies Rocky mountain penstemon Pasqueflower seedheads (fuzzy little puffs - I deliver flower to a hair salon and they go wild over the frizzy hair look) Allium 'purple sensation' Hosta leaves Lady fern fronds Statice - I haven't grown this one in awhile, but it comes in some great, vibrant colors and is pretty fun to grow. It looks like a weed at first though, so don't pull it! Lavender Culinary sage leaves, sometimes flowers too for a bride's bouquet, a trailing vine of clematis is pretty neat. Tulips Daffodils Hyacinth Fringed bleeding heart (dicentra eximia) For my own bouquets were a week + of vase life is not expected, I also use roses, sweet peas, and peonies. I am too stingy to cut things like Siberian Irises or delphinium because they seem too fleeting and rare to cut. Those are my favorites. What are yours?...See MoreOT Do you have trouble getting enough veggies?
Comments (28)Wow thank you for all the great advice and links! As far as liquids go I'm the only one with that problem. Will definitely try the water in the fridge idea. I'll have to label the bottle as mine. ;) The men have water with every meal and they drink a ton of filtered water from home at work. We freeze large jugs of filtered water and that goes into the electric fridge in the work truck. I allow only whole grains to go into my guys. They eat very healthily since I took the reins and snacks are healthy too. Heavy lifting and long days and hours makes them very hungry though. Home made chicken and or fish bone broth are eaten in every sauce but not every day. Maybe every 3 days... I don't put sauce on everything. I've tried to add heavier foods and more nutrients to every bite but they are lean and hungry still. Except DH. He is in transition from the heavy lifting to a more supervisory roll so has requested a less calorie dense diet. That's a work in progress. I wish my family were more like yours GL. But I think their systems are more hyperactive than some too. Only DH loves cold salads. DS and Nephews not so much. I'm trying but usually have to force myself to eat them. I find if I mix them in with my hot food on my plate and add more spices or sauce I enjoy them. Will roast veggies to have on hand for snacks. Love that idea. I personally love cauliflower rice stuffed peppers. Yum! Question does roasting decrease the nutritional value of the veggies much? I have found that using cauliflower/broccoli as the base in every sauce is working well, is not noticeable and has cut back a bit on the hunger problem. I keep threatening to add sardines to the sauce too. To sneak in more protein for myself I will give it a try. :) Thank you so much again. I will take the advice to heart and try to shift my thinking....See MoreAny expressions that irk you?
Comments (192)I was watching a news program the other day, when the talking head clearly said, "he has a tough road to hoe." I think hoeing any road would be pretty darned tough. The expression is clearly supposed to be "a tough row to hoe," yet I constantly hear people say it as road....See MoreOT Do you like bottled fragrance?
Comments (29)My favorite rosy perfume is 'Voleur de Roses', but there are many rose fragrances I haven't smelled. In winter I like woodsy or oriental fragrances, but I do try not to wear anything strongly scented in public... too many people have been sensitized to fragrance by the overuse of synthetic fragrances in pretty much everything. (Can anyone explain why dishwasher detergent needs to be fragrant? And don't get me started on fabric softeners and air "fresheners"...) In warmer weather I prefer greens and fresh florals, sometimes with a hint of fruit. I loathe sharp-smelling or plastic-smelling synthetic scents. I used to love a lot of the classic French perfumes, but so many of them have been changed or discontinued. as has already been noted. For ages, my fave was Chanel No.19, which for me hit all the 'sweet spots' of florals, woods and greens. It has been reformulated at least once, though, and the magic is gone. I tend to like different scents for different seasons/ moods, but can't afford to buy nice stuff in bulk. What I do now to splurge is buy samples of things I can't otherwise afford. A $3-5 sample will last me a long time, especially if I buy some other $3-5 samples at the same time. I generally know what kinds of things I like and don't think it's a crisis if I try a sample of something I end up not liking much. A few perfumes I love, and look for in sample sizes are Méchant Loup, Déclaration, Infusion d'Iris and Chinatown. I used to really like Magie Noire and Rive gauche, but haven't smelled them in ages; probably they have changed? I think of most of these as unisex fragrances, though some are sold as men's fragrances. Perfumes are extraordinarily evocative for me. Smelling L'heure bleue or Ma Griffe reminds me of my grandmother. L'Air du temps makes me think of my mom, though I don't think she still wears it- or any perfume- anymore. Those are scents that don't suit me, but I loved smelling them then, and smelling them now brings back memories. For those of you who like sandalwood, a fairly inexpensive (and all-natural) soap to try is made by Sappo Hill; my local health food store sells it, but I often buy it online. I also like their almond-scented soap and oatmeal fragranced soap. Interesting thread- thanks, Linda! Virginia...See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

MATERIALS35 Makers Show Us What They Do With Their Favorite Tools
Houzz readers express their creativity in an astonishing range of ways. View their tools — and their works — here
Full Story
SHOP HOUZZUp to 80% Off Black Friday Favorites by Style
Express your style and save big with this assortment
Full Story0

SHOP HOUZZUp to 75% Off Black Friday Favorites by Style
Express your style and save big with this assortment
Full Story0

FUN HOUZZ15 All-Time-Favorite Houzz Photos Shared by Readers
For Houzz’s 10th anniversary, we asked readers to share their favorite photos. Here are a few that caught our attention
Full Story
MOST POPULARPick Your Favorite: Sheds for Every Kind of Garden
Add a personalized touch to your backyard with a shed that complements your home’s style and your taste
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN5 Favorite Granites for Gorgeous Kitchen Countertops
See granite types from white to black in action, and learn which cabinet finishes and fixture materials pair best with each
Full Story
Cool Finds: 15 Modern Favorites Under $50
Have a little more fun everyday with these stylish and affordable home accessories
Full Story
ARCHITECTURERoots of Style: Cape Cod Evolves Into an American Favorite
With its simple gabled roof forms and straightforward design elements, the Boston-area style maintains a centuries-long following
Full Story
MOST POPULAROur Favorite Kitchen Storage Ideas Now
Make the most of every square inch with these clever cabinetry solutions
Full Story
MORE ROOMSDeep Color Soothes in a Favorite Reading Room
A wood-burning fireplace, beloved collections and comfortable seating make this library a family favorite
Full Story
friedag