SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
muddauber7

OT... Do You Rember...

muddauber7
14 years ago

Hello folks.

I really enjoy these forums. They provide a great means of exchanging information and making new friends. Gardening seems to me to be one of the last hobbies that reminds me of my youth and what was obviously a simpler time.

Sometimes I long for the days of my childhood when a childs imagination was unlimited and the toys we played with were often homemade or simple common items found around the house. Now days childrenÂs toys are expensive and sophisticated. Technology seems to have replaced simple imagination.

As kids, my generation played outside all day long. Imagination powered our toys and our games. It seems todayÂs kids are missing out on some of the fun that my generation took for granted. Maybe I am simply giving my age away but I canÂt help feeling a bit sorry for the children of today. I believe that technology has cheated them out of some of the good times that my generation enjoyed. I believe that more and more children are chubby and out of shape and have a stifled imagination as a direct result of todayÂs electronic driven society. Or maybe I am simply an old fart who is being left behind by the times.

So if you care to take a trip with me down memory lane ( and possibly give your age away ), then indulge me as I engage in a bit of nostalgia by asking the following:

Do you rememberÂ.

Saturday matinees

T.V. Serials

Drive in movies

Skate keys

Penny candy

Penny loafers

45 rpm records

Record players

Pitching pennys

Pitching horseshoes

Pitching woo

Stick ponies

Ten cent balsa wood airplanes

Home made kites

Home made jelly

I miss:

The smell of bread baking when we drove by the Mrs.Bairds bakery in Downtown Ft.Worth

The smells that came from the kitchen as Mom and Grandmother canned homegrown fruits and vegetables

Playing hopscotch

Redrover, Redrover can Johnny come overÂ.

Colored eggs

Freeze Tag and "Your It !

Home made kites, boats, paper airplanes, soapbox derby cars, stilts, slingshots

G.I. Joe ( with or without a Kung Fu Grip )

Looking forward to the first day of school and longing for the last day of school

Quilting bees , Avon parties, Stanley Products and The Jolly Green Giant (Ho, Ho, HoÂ.)

Leave It To Beaver, Dick Van Dyke, and I STILL love Lucy

Putting on your Sunday best for Sunday school

Hearing and saying yes maÂam and no maÂam

Having to stand in a corner (yes, even that )

Our first color T.V. ( and we only had ONE in the House )

The Waltons ( Good night John boy Â)

Skipping rocks , Skipping Rope ( Cinderella dressed in YellaÂ.)

Collecting enough pop bottles to buy a movie ticket and double matinees

Hand me Down clothes ( todayÂs kids wouldnÂt be caught dead in such things)

One telephone in the houseÂand it rang and it was often a "party line"

Oh Lord I could go on and on but I must stop someplace, my eyes are beginning to mist over. So if you care to stroll down memory lane with me, tell me what you remember of days gone by.

Billy

Comments (17)