SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catriona_adam59

transforming the green walled monster

Catriona Adam
4 years ago

Hey Houzz community!

Current State:

It's unclear from the picture, but the colour of this house is close to https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-ca/colour-overview/find-your-colour/colour/2030-50/shimmering-lime?source=%2Fen-ca%2Fcolour-overview%2Ffind-your-colour%2Fcolour-families%2Fgre%2Fgreen&color=2030-50

Complete with an apres ski lodge protruding beams, and shutters and handrail along the front, of which we plan to cap and remove, respectively.

The challenge as I see it:

Vinyl rainscreened windows were put in before we bought. Vinyl is a challenge to paint, and especially if painted black (material integrity, warranty (if there is one), and fading, especially on the south side). The house as you can see from the picture, is short on architectural detail but big on a blank slate. For context, we've just done the ENTIRE interior on a limited budget, we're not going to be replacing the windows anytime soon as they are in perfect working order.

The goal:

My preference is to go to a transitional style refresh, with a not too wintery white and a black trim on faschia, patio railing, gutters, and window frames. Was also thinking for the board and batten under the roof line, and the front door, going with a camel colour (reference: https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-ca/colour-overview/find-your-colour/colour/1103/camel-back?color=1103&source=%2Fen-ca%2Fcolour-overview%2Ffind-your-colour%2Fcolour-families%2Fneu%2Fneutral)

So do we paint the vinyl windows? Do we create a framed encasement? Do we go with another combination or look that can suit the home? Do you have any other recommendations for a modern or transitional curb appeal refresh? I also considered going towards a modern Mission style home (I grew up in California), complete with the terracotta style shingles on the fascia, but the hubby can't envision it.

VISION House Los Angeles · More Info

Rancho Santa Fe · More Info

Mutli circle Driveway · More Info

Comment (1)