SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onenativesun

Leveling backyard for playset

NativeSun
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I would love for any tips or help as I'm trying leveling out this plot of my back yard (photo below) for a play set for my kids. I figure before I really start on the process I ought to reach out for a second or more opinions before really jumping in. I'm sorry that I don't have exact numbers for my plot, but I can get those later today.

The slope is roughly 2 feet from high spot to the low spot. Under the 3 inches or so of sod is heavy clay...

I had two ideas, first was to dig straight down and level out the land with the low point. But then I had a realization that's an awful lot of dirt & clay to displace. So my second idea, which I'm strongly leaning towards, was to raise the low point with border. I am planing on using a 6x6s for the border.

Like I said, I'd love to get any feedback on my idea. If you have any suggestions or ideas in which you would do it, I'm all ears. I have dug up roughly a 5th of the sod (from the stake nearest bottom of stairs to bottom stake, also removed sod creating a foot wide border around the plot).

Much thanks in advance.

APM

- Not sure why I can't get an actual picture of the yard space to upload -

Unfortunately due to utility lines the shape can't be an easy rectangle.

My first idea, digging straight down.

Second design, raise the low point with border.

Comments (2)