SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janelle_hicks

I need layout help with a remodel. Add bed & bath to a 2/1?

Janelle H
4 years ago

So we bought a 2/1 house but I want to try to make it a 3/2, resale value is important because we won't be here forever. So the layout is actually great right now, but we really need a 3rd bed 2nd bath. So...where would you put it? The sketch isnt quite to scale, but basically we could split bedroom 1 and make one tiny 7x12 room (with double closets) and one 10x12 room (but need to add a closet). OR, we could turn the dining room into a bedroom that is I think about 12x12, but that means the kitchen is sort of closed off from the living room, and we would put a little dining space probably in the corner of the living room.

Then to get the 2nd bath: Depending on what we do with the rooms, we could add a bath to bedroom 1 or 2 (if they stay their current, large size), or we could convert the laundry to stackable, and try to fit a toilet, sink, and possibly shower in there, potentially with a door to bedroom #2 and/or closing off the kitchen and/or exterior door (move that to dining room?) (Is it weird to have a bathroom off the kitchen? Or weirder to have an exterior door from a bathroom? Or weirder to have 2 bathrooms but no actual master? Or to have a master but have the laundry machines in there? ) or......I dont know. Would it be ok to just add a half bath, or should it at least have a shower? To keep costs down we'd ideally not have to move plumbing very far... Basically, please help me.

Comments (22)